• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Thx.
I don't have any torroidals trafos in my enclosures.
All four trafos was made on EI high quality grain oriented silicon with an laminations E 25.....so...it's very strong trafo.....a big trafos.That's why the output bandwith is so wide and the sound is so sublime.No budget limit to winding output trafos.
The body of the trafos is on the chasis and half on their size is covered with rounded enclosures.
All material was anodized aluminium and pure aluminium.

Hi,

I am new here, and could not resist posting a pic of one of my amps....

805-2.jpg

It's a Shishido 805, you can read more about it here (if you understand German), but the schematics are not language binded...

how I did built my Shishido 805

Ciao

Ronald.

kor952: Your amplifier is Exceptional! , top drawer solder work and layout.

Obviously you take your listening enjoyment very seriously.

Short Q&A about your web pages and pictures @ http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/RKoridon-Amp/805-Story.htm ... (I am unable to decode the Dutch flavored German).

Is the turntable your design or kit as well? ... or mods to someone elses design?

I notice a vinyl copy of Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" ... Source is Chess Records, yes? ... or is it the modern remake in heavy vinyl?

Noticing your Teac and DAC, have you had a chance to compare the vinyl Muddy to the 24bit/96k DVD-A from Classic Records? (I consider both vinyl & DVD-A (HDAD) of this album to be a "bench mark" for comparisons of old technology verses new technology, DVD-A to CD or SACD, etc. Do you have another favorite album for these kinds of comparisons.)

Your DAC type and specs ? Is this a kit or your own design?

Speakers: Kits or DIY?

:bigeyes:

FastEddy said:
kor952: Your amplifier is Exceptional! , top drawer solder work and layout.

thank you

Short Q&A about your web pages and pictures @ http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/RKoridon-Amp/805-Story.htm ... (I am unable to decode the Dutch flavored German).

It's not my personal site, I did send my story (written in Dutch) and pictures to Jogis, he did know a German guy living in the Netherlands who translated my story

Is the turntable your design or kit as well? ... or mods to someone elses design?

The turntable is made in Germany by Scheu. It comes in parts but you hardly can call it a kit.

I notice a vinyl copy of Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" ... Source is Chess Records, yes? ... or is it the modern remake in heavy vinyl?

Noticing your Teac and DAC, have you had a chance to compare the vinyl Muddy to the 24bit/96k DVD-A from Classic Records? (I consider both vinyl & DVD-A (HDAD) of this album to be a "bench mark" for comparisons of old technology verses new technology, DVD-A to CD or SACD, etc. Do you have another favorite album for these kinds of comparisons.)

Your DAC type and specs ? Is this a kit or your own design?

Speakers: Kits or DIY?

:bigeyes:

I bought the DAC as Audio Note DAC 3, I updated it to the DAC 4 Signature level it handles only 44.1 and 48 kHz. So no DVDs I compared my vinyl Muddy Waters with my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Gold CD, And I like both of them maybe the vinyl is a bit more dynamic and a tiny bit more 'black' silence but both are music!
My speakers are ready built Audio Note type E.

Ciao,

Ronald.

rcavictim said:
Very nice work Ronald. That 300B amp is nice also. I note cathode FB on the 805 from the output iron. Whose xfmers did you use and what plate Z? Nice you were able to find a suitable interstage xfmer as well. That makes Class A2 somewhat simpler to implement.

thank you

All transformers are from Tango (see the special wound nrs in the diagram) only the power transformer was wound by a Dutch transformer factory. The interstage transformer is a so called Inverting Interstage Transformer (IIT) the positive tension on the grid of the 805 causes a current through the sec. of the IIT that cancels a part of the anode current of the 6L6 (wich flows through the primairy of the IIT).
The problem is that these special wound transformers at this moment are hard to get from ISO/Tango.
Because of the cathode feedback of the OPT the impedance of this transformer may be lower as useally, in this case the Rp of the OPT is 3.5 K. Also the Anode voltage of the 805 is "low" 820V but the Anode current is high 135 mA.

Ciao,

Ronald.

" ... I compared my vinyl Muddy Waters with my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Gold CD, And I like both of them maybe the vinyl is a bit more dynamic and a tiny bit more 'black' silence ..."

I believe that the DVD-A version(s) would be preceived as having a whole lot more dynamic range than the comsumer grade CD(s), much more comparable to the vinyl, although the best range I have ever heard was from certain vinyls. (I will give the Sound Lab Gold a listen.)

Thx

:smash:

I've been posting in the vsps thread, but I;ve pretty much finished it for the moment...

I'm not into polish or any sort of finish at this stage, as it's a functional item, not blingbling:D mind you those led's are bright, and shows up the aluminium front scratches and stuff from when I ripped it out of an old 15" screen tube surround cover :) hehehe

That the vsps phono amp in the middle build on 19mm mdf, with a roof made of 19mm mdf with 2 door hinges so I can replace/upgrade bits as I need.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Audacity recording away, direct to wav then flac.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

MMmmm Blue LED's , 1 led for each power rail

Oh and my wallwart powered cmoy-ish head amp ( that little blue big with the big knob)...

awaiting my SOHA pcb's, then it's onto a source switcher / preamp & then a power amp, which will probably be in better enclosures than mdf...

hahaha I didn't even cut the mdf up, just used whatever bits I had lying around (apart from the power socket/fuse switch bit - is 2 bits of wood split in 2 and cutouts for rear screwed together.