Philips CD650 mods

sort of on topic!!!

Guys, i've been playing again!

I've now got a meridian 207 CDP which uses the same chipset (SAA7210, SAA7220 and TDA1541).

This evening, I've removed all the preamp and TDA section (top board) from player leaving it effectively as a CDM4 transport with both SAA chips. I've hooked out the 3 I2S feeds from the SAA7220 and wired them into my green DAC!

It works! Not much else to report for now, but this opens up a whole area for me in respect of playing with different DACs.

:D

Attachments

• IMG00171-20100112-2309.jpg
    IMG00171-20100112-2309.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 302
And my update:

Recapped the whole thing. Took a day or two to burn in, but it sounds like the player is feeling a lot better and enjoys playing music.
What else? Two of the power cables going to the filter board broke, they can't stand all that handling :dead: Result: when powered up the disc spins like crazy, since it's a top loader now this meant frisbee-effects.. And the display was dead too.. Soldered the cables directly to the board.
Lubricated the hinges of the swingarm. This made me nervous, but it turned out to be very easy. I also glued the flexprint back to the swingarm, it had come loose a bit and touched parts on the servo board. It swings freely now, big difference.

And my update:
Lubricated the hinges of the swingarm. This made me nervous, but it turned out to be very easy. I also glued the flexprint back to the swingarm, it had come loose a bit and touched parts on the servo board. It swings freely now, big difference.

What did you use to lubricate it? And when you say big difference.... quicker to find tracks? quieter? Less noise on the PSU rails? Or does it just swing properly for a change?

It's no use for most of you, far beyond than this, but, if it does not annoy you Simon, I would like to tell how much my CDM4/TDA1541A R1 based player changed of level when I did the clean LM317 supply for the SAA7220. I don't remember a single mod on the CD-63 that helped that much. Terrific!

Matthieu

Attachments

• DSC00310.jpg
    DSC00310.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 243
Absolutely! The 7220 is very noisey and very greedy!

You don't need to go NOS to get round this difficult chip if you use a very good low noise reg like and SPower. Also, this chip is what does the clock redistribution. If you are using a decent clock, you should replace the clock outputs with feeds from the clock direct. From memory, you'd need a /2 to 7210. I think it replaces the link from pin 9-19 but i'd check before you do anything!!!:p

You should do all of them!!!!! Don't be afraid to drive 2 pins with 1 clock feed!

Also, if you drive the clock out into a good gate to get the /2 it will buffer and allow you to ditribute.

Before my C2, I used and Trichord clock 4. It was connected to the 7220 and the TDA1541 pin4 (only S2) on full clock and the 7210 and TDA pin 2 on /2 feed. it also drove the DEM reclock circuit!

You should follow the clocking and experiment, its well worth it!

Hi Ian,
that's not clear to me and may be out of topic as it's a 7310 in my case.
As far as I have understood,
A clock at 11.28, a single 100R, a single wire going to feed the SAA7220,(or 2 of both?) then from this pin (like a bus) to the 7310, then a /2 cicuit to the TDA only pin4 the BCK on pin2 beeing left to SAA7220 duty?
Or BCK need to go from SAA7220 to flipflop as for the XO f, then Q feed pin4 only?

I'm lost!
I've tired to get a clear view from
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...king-tda1541-zero-oversampling-cd-player.html
and
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/99652-saa7220p-b-really-bad.html
but this is all but the same... as what I understand from you :'(

May I ask you to speaker slower, I feel a bit slow sometimes, sorry for being annoying.
And for DEM it will be with the lovely smd cap for now, my brain can't take it anymore!

Matthieu

Last edited:
What did you use to lubricate it? And when you say big difference.... quicker to find tracks? quieter? Less noise on the PSU rails? Or does it just swing properly for a change?

The difference I meant was mechanical, the laser arm was swinging back and forth a lot better than before, I used some sort of thin silicone grease.

But a strange problem has come up :confused:
Normal CD playback is no problem, but CDR's is a different story -sometimes. It doesn't just click slightly when it skips, the clicking is very loud, and the music is distorted like you wouldn't believe:eek: Really horrible, like an overloaded amplifier.
And it's not the CDM, I've swapped that and the servo board with the same result.
Now the funny part: a few days later it plays even the crappiest CRD with only a few hardly audible clicks :confused: I'm lost here, don't know where to find the problem. Thought about resoldering all the joints.

Try this guys. It explains how I implemented the C2 in my player but it covers the SAA7310 decoder chip too. Most of the information is discussed in EC's Ultimate NOS thread. I would love to claim all this as my own but if I'm honest its just a collection of information i've found and collated. If you really want to understand the internals of the bit decoupling and DEM etc read EC's thread! It's very very informative! Like the 63 thread, its long and not all the info is of interest but well worth dredging through IMHO!

Attachments

• 1541 clocking_03ver.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 439