Perreaux SM2 & 2150B...

The output stage on Perreaux amps is based on Hitachi app notes. The Driver is definitely proprietry. I remember one of the engineers telling me that the amps sampled the rail voltage flucuations and fed it back into the input out of phase to reduce distortion. Does any oen know if Ive got this right or if its possible?

BTW in its day the SM3 was the flagship. PMF5550 was a behemoth, it took two people to lift safely and I think could deliver 2kw/ch into 2 ohm. It went 1850, 3150 and 5550, sm2, sm3.

Luke said:
........I remember one of the engineers telling me that the amps sampled the rail voltage flucuations and fed it back into the input out of phase to reduce distortion. Does any oen know if Ive got this right or if its possible?...........

Yes this correct there was a pot inside which was adjusted at the factory. Also the PCBs were symetrical and the power +/- cables feeding the boards were dressed whilst looking at a scope to achieve cancellation of any loop effects. There was a lot of attention paid to details.

fredex said:
@ Luke Yes I worked there during SM2 days.

I'm just looking at the SM2 schematics and there is no DC rail sampling there - there is just one pot used to adjust the bias for each FET class A output stage.

There is a DC bias taken from the -45VDC rail (divided down to below -2.8V) applied to each long tailed pair, but nothing else.

Visually, its a very appealing preamp - nice PCB layout.