Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Hmm, I getting 9.5 on the second board (with the 18v board disconnected). I haven't changed D3, but that shouldn't make any difference. I cannot be sure, but it's likely that the second board is the one with the Q6 issue. I can't do any more today, but I can look at it tomorrow. If you have a schematic showing dc voltages, that would be useful. Also, any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The led on the power supply...guide says "treat like described" in phono part. It has a + by the round hole. Instructions for phono led say "long leg is square (positive) hole. Yet the + is by round hole. I can figure out how it should go, but didn't know if this was a flub in the guide, or more likely my user error? It was getting late ...unlike phono part, no cap pad near it...

Russellc

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The cathode is correctly marked on the led silkscreen. (the flat side of the outline)

Yes, I agree that the capacitor’s + symbol is confusing. Luckily if the LED is inserted backwards, nothing gets hurt and you only need to reverse it.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A sneaky alternative is to use a bicolor, 2 terminal LED. It will light up in either orientation.

Mouser part number 859-LTL-14CDJN is an example. It glows yellow in one orientation and it glows green in the other. It WILL glow no matter which orientation you select.
Too bad they dont make them to glow the same color in both directions, I would order a bunch of them in blue!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
these are the LEDs that fit into the front panel, right?
so you can put your wiring error on display, then?
if that's directed at me, ( I assume not ) No. I'm talking about the power supply box and its single led on front panel. no cap near the led pad, + by round hole... guide says "same as phono box led ", which says, long leg (positive) in square hole....

Update -

D3s on both phono boards were installed backward, have been replaced, and work fine. The board symbols and the instructions are clear. Operator error - RFD!

Here's a summary of the voltage situation for all three completed boards - PSU, Phono 1, Phono 2 - when connected.

PSU alone - 20v
PSU + Phono 1 - 20v, 20v
PSU + Phono 2 - 10v, 10v
PSU + Phono1 + Phono 2 - 10v, 10v, 10v.

Phono 2 is the board where Q6 had been installed backwards (RFD!). New Q6 now in place.

Inspection shows no suspicious soldering. Comparison of dc voltages of both phono boards when connected (10v, 10v, 10v) shows no differences between boards. Apparently schematic with dc voltages not available.

PSU transformer is 12VA (1295-1027); not 15VA (1295-1028) - some confusion on PSU BOM and DigiKey. Cannot find a US supplier of 1295-1028; OEMStron (China) shows inventory; waitng to hear back from them. 595-1220-nd (12VA) widely available.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have ~50 of the 15+15V transformers in kits in my basement.... So we can solve that if needed.

I'm really curious to know if the 12V+12V can work in a pinch. You're at 20V loaded with one board. That's plenty of overhead voltage for the regs. The question what will loaded voltage be with both boards?

First things first:
PSU alone - 20v GOOD
PSU + Phono 1 - 20v, 20v GOOD
PSU + Phono 2 - 10v, 10v SOMETHING HERE ISN'T RIGHT
PSU + Phono1 + Phono 2 - 10v, 10v, 10v. I'M GOING TO ASSUME PHONO 2 IS THE PROBLEM HERE, TOO

It appears that Phono 2 has a problem. Can you take some pix of the top and bottom of Phono 2? Let's figure out how to see that board show 20V unloaded on Phono 2. THEN what is the loaded voltage for Phono 1 + 2?

I have ~50 of the 15+15V transformers in kits in my basement.... So we can solve that if needed.

I'm really curious to know if the 12V+12V can work in a pinch. You're at 20V loaded with one board. That's plenty of overhead voltage for the regs. The question what will loaded voltage be with both boards?

First things first:
PSU alone - 20v GOOD
PSU + Phono 1 - 20v, 20v GOOD
PSU + Phono 2 - 10v, 10v SOMETHING HERE ISN'T RIGHT
PSU + Phono1 + Phono 2 - 10v, 10v, 10v. I'M GOING TO ASSUME PHONO 2 IS THE PROBLEM HERE, TOO

It appears that Phono 2 has a problem. Can you take some pix of the top and bottom of Phono 2? Let's figure out how to see that board show 20V unloaded on Phono 2. THEN what is the loaded voltage for Phono 1 + 2?
Agree that board 2 is likely the problem. If PSU + Phono 2 was 20v, then not so likely. I'll get some pics to you.

bb.jpg
aa.jpg