PC becomes very slow to respond

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Took me a while to read most of the 7solutions and then to type the first.
Method 1: Specify the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
Use this method first to try to resolve the Stop error message.

During the installation startup, press F5 when the "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" message is displayed.
When you are prompted, make sure that you specify the correct computer type and Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). For example, if you have a single processor, specify the "Standard PC" HAL.
Try to reinstall Windows XP.
If this resolves the Stop error message and you successfully install Windows XP, you are finished.
I don't know much about this.
When do I see "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" message is displayed. ?
The bottom of the screen is white and messages appear there stating what is happening.
Is that where I should look? It scrolls through them pretty fast !

This motherboard is an AMD FM2A58M-VG3+ R2.0
The processor box says AMD A4 5300 Dual Core Processor

Does that mean I don't tick the "Standard PC" option for single processor?

Last edited:
Took me a while to read most of the 7solutions and then to type the first.I don't know much about this.
When do I see "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" message is displayed. ?
The bottom of the screen is white and messages appear there stating what is happening.
Is that where I should look? It scrolls through them pretty fast !
Yes. I'm sure you have time to press F5 while it is scrolling.

This motherboard is an AMD FM2A58M-VG3+ R2.0
The processor box says AMD A4 5300 Dual Core Processor

Does that mean I don't tick the "Standard PC" option for single processor?
A dual core processor is still a single processor on the mother board.

I did not see inspecting hardware message.
It STOPped at the same IRQL

Should I go straight to bios change?
Method 2: Turn off features in CMOS settings
Use this method when method 1 does not resolve the Stop error message.

Turn off all the following features in the CMOS settings of your computer. For instructions, see the hardware documentation or contact the manufacturer.
All caching, including L2, BIOS, internal/external, and writeback caching on disk controllers
All shadowing
Plug and Play
Any BIOS-based virus protection feature
b. Try to reinstall Windows XP.
If this resolves the Stop error message, go to step c.
If this does not resolve the Stop error message, go to method 3.
c. Try to isolate which feature is causing the error. To do this, re-enable each of these features one at a time, and then restart your computer after you re-enable each feature.
d. If you identify a problem feature, disable or remove it and contact the manufacturer to try to resolve the issue.

If this does not isolate a problem with a CMOS setting, but this does resolve the Stop error message and you can start your computer normally, it may be that a setting was preventing the installation. If this is the case, turn on the setting after you install Windows XP, you are finished.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It is very unlikely for that to be a sufficient amount of space for XP + Win7 upgrade version + Win7 updates.
Again I suggest 120GB drive C:

That's true enough, however making the initial partition small means Windows can not put unmovable installation files 'out into space', a problem if you want to shrink the partition down. Keep it small initially until W7 is installed, then expand the partition to the size you want.

Yes. The very old 320GB HDD is sitting almost idle on this present PC as drive E.

But it is an IDE/Pata HDD. This rebuilt PC only has SATA/USB connections.

If I disconnect my 1GB HDD and boot up this PC it starts in XP from that HDD.
And yes, it was validated by MS but about 5 or more years ago.
I can't recall the details, but I have a feeling it was an OEM windows install, without any Windows disk, just a drivers disc
I have the CDR disc and I am guessing it is a back up I made at the time of purchase of the fully built PC.
The white paper envelope has the product key on it.
Shame I did not do the same for the Win7 upgrade DVD that I bought.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You can determine if its an OEM by this,

To determine whether you have an OEM installation of Windows, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
Click the General tab.
Locate the number that is displayed under Registered to.

This number typically contains 20 digits. If digits 6, 7, and 8 contain the letters "OEM", you have an OEM installation of Windows.

For example, the following sample Product ID number indicates an OEM installation:
12345-OEM-6789098-76543

An OEM install is only valid on the original PC it was installed on.

You can check if its activated,

Navigate through Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click Activate Windows. A window will open that displays the activation status of the XP installation.

I'm just having second thoughts on what I was going to suggest... which was to go down the 'image drive' route and then restore it back to the drive you wish to use. Second thoughts because the XP image would have all drivers for the old hardware as part of its configuration.

If your XP is an OEM then that could be another stumbling block if it fails to activate due to to many changes to the system.

I honestly don't know what to suggest to you, I just think you are going to have to try a few options before throwing the towel in and trying to get a new W7 license key and disc.

Email is generally in the cloud these days. W7 has no native e-mail client.
A clean install on a new W7 PC would not know anything about Andrew
(or his accounts).

Gmail ! Has a mind of it's own (skynet). My Yahoo was hijacked once ,
yahoo made me reset my password 3 times. Only the current super-strong
(upper/lowercase ##'s and symbols) password has held.
My yahoo account fired off emails to all my DIYA buddies 3 years ago.

My email has always been the biggest of my security problems , luckily
they scan my attachments well.

OS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.