PC becomes very slow to respond

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Only Cal came to inform me he had received a spurious Email.
No other contact warned me.
That's why I thought it was a hack via DIYaudio.
But I changed DIYaudio password immediately and 15minutes later changed Gmail password.

My fingers now need to get used to those two new passwords.
I forgot that the saved password on this PC needs to be overwritten to allow me to log in.

How do I get into to change saved passwords?

I don't save any account Nos, nor passwords for any of my finance.

What operating system are you on now, that you need to change the log in details for.
Win7 using Firefox to log in to DIYaudio.

I double click on "empty dialog box" and it enters my user name and my password into the next empty dialog box, then I click on login and I am logged in.
Except I changed my password yesterday and the system is still putting in my old password.

I have had this in some other sites, but obviously ones I very rarely use.

Last edited:
I don't use windows passwords.
I hate them.
I had one portable that mistakenly guided me to entering a password and for ever more, I had two extra screens to complete before the PC would start up.

The school used that system, but they needed the extra security and the extra spying capability so I had to accept that in school.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It took me a while to realise you could disable smilies on here.

A couple of years ago I set up my Microsoft Outlook web mail, initially just for me, and no one knew of its existence. And guess what... within a week or two I was starting to get spam for fake Rolex watches. I'm convinced it was an inside job and I reported what was happening to Microsoft via a secure (lol, did I just say that) contact form. Shortly afterwards the spam did stop.

My G Mail account that I occasionally use has never had a single spam email arrive in 5 or 6 years.

(Well I'm having fun today, just fitted a new solid state drive to my Dell laptop. I'm going to clean install rather than migrate the old install over)

I joined the Yahoo Tannoy forum.

They "leaked" my email and from then on and after I disabled my yahoo membership I was inundated with hundreds of spam every month and in a bad week hundreds as well.

Fortunately that email account is no longer active.
I would like to join Yahoo LTspice forum, but I won't take the risk that Yahoo will "leak" again !

Can you ask the Forum administrators to change the default to enable smilies needing a tick?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I joined the LT group 12 months or more ago and got millions of notifiers. I'm not sure how I stopped them now, it was either some setting to turn off or I had used a disposable email account and I just binned. Honestly can not remember now.

Just working my way through W8.1 updates on this new SSD drive. This thing is nuts, W8.1 installed in under 10 minutes, system image $backups are taking under a minute at the moment, and updates install as quickly as you can count. I'm doing the updates in monthly blocks and I made a note of which not to install (the W8.1 > W10 compatibility and telemetry)

I phoned the motherboard/memory retailer before I ordered.
I asked with this 16GB memory and the Motherboard be quicker if I buy an SSD
He said not at all, even though they had the chance of an extra sale.

Maybe he was a telephone answerer rather than a PC expert.
Some of Samsung's SSD are impressive. It is likely to start up the computer a few seconds faster. Once past that point, it is not likely to outperform a really professional hard drive such as Western Digital RE series (a much better built WD Black). That's because of the motherboard.
Here's how that goes:
If the motherboard supports a 6GB/s SATA interface, and if that feature wasn't simply faked, then it is possible for the better versions of Samsung SSD to outperform any hard drive.
That is rarely seen:
The newer features that suit SSD aren't present on older hardware; and, so, except for new builds, the expected speed boost is delivered in the form of a disappointingly incremental difference, like a barely caffeinated turtle.

Just earlier, I compared an excellent SSD with an excellent hard drive. But, let's see what happens if I didn't do that. Howabout the case of a laptop that's more than two years old and a bargain SSD compared with a really ordinary WD blue laptop hard drive? In that case, it won't take long before you'd want your hard drive back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.