Pass SLOB Build Discussion

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sorry if I offend…I love Papa’s SLOB project and try not to be negative here…but those are just plain ugly to my eyes and look like they had little to no thought put into the design or aesthetics.

I suppose someone will buy them that wants to be able to show off their expensive Cube Audio drivers?

SLOB Parts are slowly rolling in. SB Bianco 15OB350….. IMG_8508.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, this is what they look like in their current state. Excellent midrange and high end, great imaging. Huge. But……
IMG_8345.jpeg
Then I built these for the living room last winter with “leftovers”….
IMG_8350.jpeg

They do everything the LaScala clones do except they have deep, tight, clean chest kicking bass, and no need what so ever for a sub. So….I’m looking for something different in my listening room. That is where the plan for the SLOB comes in to play. I have corners for the horns, but would like the option to play with room layout. Hopefully the SLOBs will check most of my boxes (full range delight, efficient and great imaging) and allow for flexibility. Should be a good experiment. The fast 8s arrived yesterday so I have everything I need to begin the journey.

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have a pair of LaScalas in my barn. They are collecting dust until I can set up my workshop. I agree that the LaScalas are fairly limited in the bass department. Actually, I am not that big on the mid-range and tweeters for all-around listening. Yours look to address the mids and highs quite nicely :) I have thought of putting Smahl tweeters and laminating new wood to make the cabs 1"-1.5" thick on the sides and bottom.

Your build quality looks outstanding!

If the SLOBs don't replace your speakers (performance-wise) at the very least, they will be different.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m excited to see what the SLOBs can do. If they are not perfect in the initial iteration I will keep tweaking them. I think there are a lot of possibilities with these speakers. Different drivers, more drivers, placement and room treatment should get me where I want hopefully.

I am going to run MiniDSP initially, but I am looking forward to switching to an ACN at some point too.

Reactions: 1 user
Used shoehorn to make it fit. 4U heat sinks. IMG_8516.jpeg
Need to drill back panel, run wires from IEC to CL60 block, test power supply, run wires from power supply to amp PCBs, output/inputs. Solder in leds on amp PCBs. Final inspection, flip on and bias. Getting close.

Reactions: 1 users
Input and out put wiring will be tucked up along the silver rail. Power supply wiring will run along the bottom of the chassis in the same place. I can always swap the power to the top and signal to the bottom if there is a noise issue. There is more space on the bottom away from the power supply etc.

Last edited: