Pass SLOB Build Discussion

@No 4 , I'm planning on using the Lii fast8 for the full range as well, but the eminence Beta-15A for the slot, which is what they used for the speaker camp 2022/23. However, I have noticed that the Bill of Materials in the speaker camp Crossover documentation have incorrect Mouser Part# for the Caps. What did you use to take measurements? I was planning on take my own measurements, but I had trouble finding a comprehensive guide for beginners.

I thought I would share some images of my SLOBs in their current state. I was able to rotate my room 180* and pull my speakers out of the corners, which has totally changed the use of my room. I moved a couch from another room in, and the two chairs out. now the room is used by the whole family, which is great, and also bad LOL. I really wish I had tried open baffle sooner, they are addicting. I will keep my room in this orientation going forward, the imaging and soundstage is just amazing. The greatest challenge I foresee is resisting the urge to go down the rabbit hole of 8" drivers. I am very impressed with the $200 a pair Lii fast 8. Lowther PM6a or cubes must be 10 times better right?;)
. IMG_8768.jpeg
The depth of the soundstage falls far behind the speakers. I read somewhere on the Decware site that Steve likes to place his OB speakers with a doorway or cove in between them. The large opening in my room between the speakers seems to help with the soundstage depth effect. I tried it both ways (with corners behind the speakers, pulled slightly out into the room) and liked it this way better. The bass is extremely clean and punchy, and does not build in the room. The speakers sound effortless and smooth.
IMG_8758.jpeg
I was able to recycle my audio stand from the previous setup into a coffee table. You can also see my newly completed F6 heating the room next to the audio rack. The F6 powers the Fast 8s. I have 65 watt amp powering the bottom end, and need a little bit more with the F6 on top. I really don't want to dial back the F6, I would rather have more headroom to play with on the bass. If anyone has any recommendations for good valued power on the SB Bianco woofers let me know. Most importantly, our 4 legged family member has adjusted well to the change.
IMG_8939.jpeg
Below is a picture of the previous arrangement. The new one works so much better in many ways. Thanks again @Nelson Pass and DIYA members!
IMG_8355.jpeg

Reactions: 14 users
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/attachments/ob-sl-fl-spkr-gif.586731/

Going back to the first page of this discussion, I'm wondering about building something similar to the design above posted there by @Gyuri. One concern is that the rear signal from the slot loaded woofer will be transmitted to the cone of the OB mounted woofer and cause distortion, Does that seem like a reasonable concern?

Hi fellow solderers,
after some years eyeing at the SLOB concept and hesitating because of size and complexity
I finally gave it a go! in summer when a friend left me a pair of Stage Accompany 1503 15"ers.
Then I ordered two Lii Sung Fast 8 and began to chop and carve some black MDF which was just
soaked in linoil. The baffle I left raw particleboard at first.
From our beloved store I've received a 6-24 xover kit, 4 x BA 2022 frontend kits and a fullrange eq kit.
All to be stuffed into one case with two power supplies, an input selector and a volume pot as to become
a proper four-channel-preamp driving my F5 and ACA.
It took me about half a year all in all but I am quite content with the result.
The Liis need to break in though.
Thanks to all the generous people here sharing their experience and wit
especially Master Nelson.
Cheers and a smooth slide into 2024
See pics

Attachments

• DSCN2068.jpg
    DSCN2068.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN2069.jpg
    DSCN2069.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 165