Pass HPA-1, what do we know?

Hi genrg,

I matched the k170 to j74 to about 10%.

Most of the characteristic 2 harmonic is due to lower feedback rather than fet matching. You can increase feedback and get lower distortion but the sound seems to suffer.

Contrary to popular belief I did not intentionally design 2nd harmonic into the HPA-1 but what let listening decide what the amount feedback were set at.

Also, which might surprise a lot of people, is my main reference for the sonic character were electrostatic speakers and not headphones also the unit had to sound great as a preamp. When these were satisfied did I start to use headphones.........probably a different way of doing things but it worked for me. For a reference I also used a moth 2A3 tube amplifier.:) Please no flames.

Regards,
Jam

Last edited:
New schematic with fixes:

1) Corrected the BJT orientation that @RobLK found.
2) Implemented @MarkJohnson's suggestions regarding grounding non-active outputs.
3) Added comments regarding control logic.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Hello Jeff,

I was getting ready to order the PCB for my version and I noticed that R11 on your schematic is 332 but R41 on the other channel is 475. Is that a typo? If so, what is the correct value? Any other changes or updates?

Cheers!

Attachments

• DdQ8p26WkAEKhYf.jpg
    DdQ8p26WkAEKhYf.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 455
Actaully Vader is partial to a White Russian.

For you DIY'ers out there

INGREDIENTS
2 oz. vodka
2 oz. coffee liqueur
2 oz. heavy cream

and some ice. :nod:

Attachments

• White-Russian-003.jpg
    White-Russian-003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 429
  • darth-vader-drunk.mp4
    535.4 KB