• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Output transformers for DACs

Hi paoloilpizzo, the price for assembled i/v hat is 170$ including shipment. Payment via Paypal. Manufacturing time ~1 month due to existing orders. PM to me please for details.

Regarding the difference with lundahl: people sais mine are simply better:
more body, better on LF, depper soundstage, more precise, more details, more natural\analoglike sound. Some impressions you can find in this thread btw.

Regarding comparison with OpAmps - some guys still trying to find\mention some advantages of OpAmps, but I don’t think that OpAmps can be at the same level with (my) transformers in terms of SQ+simplicity+cost... Yes, you can find some benefits of OpAmp (after making comparable investments to the OpAmps itself (burson, etc... and their... say... not simple PSU). And after that... I believe it is more about "style" of music "delivery\casting", not about pure SQ... I know that OpAmp approach is much more complex task than transformer' "plug and play" case.

Thanks to TioFrancoTirador help I know it clear now that my transformers are comparable with Teramoto' trafos in terms of sound quality.

Yes. Both yours and termoto are great designs. It has been almost two weeks since I got them. After my subjective listetning tests I finally decided to write this short review:
I have termotos to sell. PM me please :)
Thanks Ivan!!!

Attachments

• 20190925_130010.jpg
    20190925_130010.jpg
    983.4 KB · Views: 840
  • 20190910_171128.jpg
    20190910_171128.jpg
    888.5 KB · Views: 818
Hi,
Based on expirience witn es9038q2m in OSF-bypass mode, I can confirm, that Zobbel network across the secondary works great. You can try to make -0.7dB at 10kHz with -2dB at 20kHz (1kHz=0dB). I can not give you the exact values, but someting around 0.5-2nF+5-15kOhm should work for your setup. The exact values depends of the loaded impedance - better to find using generator\oscilloscope on the real load (amp/preamp).

Very nice work, bisesik!

If you have time, I need some information about this.

1) at yours post #08, you said that the primary inductance for the 1:1 transformer (voltage DACs output) is 80H.
What is the frequency that measures that? I saw at my Lundahl LL1545A that this Ls varies by frequency. With a DER EE DE-5000 I saw Ls 63H for the
100Hz, 2.8H at 1KHz and 8-22mH at the 10K (9-10, 15-16 windings), this is meaning that we need three LTSpice models to simulate the frequency performance. The Deree can be measured and Lp Inductance of windings.

2) I had done some measurements with a double AK4490 (dual mono setup) on Lundahl LL1545A 1:1 - see the schematics - each AK4490 have a LL1545A.
I had a quickly THD @-1dB, not bad with a draft and quickly cables.

3) At the above schematics the primary DCR of Lundhal LL1545A is 313 Ohm each winding, i.e 313 Ohm to each differential AK4490 output, according to initial schematics that I had used. The DCR of secondary windings if they combined all together in series, is 620 Ohm for SE output.

4) Can we have at your voltage DACs transformers, two primaries windings each for differential AK4490/93/97 output (dual mono) and the output such as combined xlr or SE outputs?

Attachments

• Lundahl LL1545A as output on AKM dacs.png
    Lundahl LL1545A as output on AKM dacs.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 806
  • THD LL1545A.png
    THD LL1545A.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 795
Bisesik thanks for the quick reply.

About (3), I remembered different aspect as the post 12

In case of Voltage Type DAC like AK4490 it is better to use 1:1 with high primary inductance and DCR. ...

For the (4), what is the mainly difference btw this and those of post 25

Sure, I can make 1:0.5+0.5 or 0.5+0.5:0.5+0.5 (if the DAC have differential output and center point is needed) version of turns ratio for your choice. You will connect coils different ways to provide SE or BAL outputs. It is extra 10USD to the cost of standard (1:1) version...

Probably for the price and the rest, it will be more pleasure by pm.

Regarding high or low DCR. Yes, it is a good and interesting question. AK4490 has one comment in datasheet about the load on DC - it should be not less than 1.5kOm... But this statement is with respect to GND and seems relates to the questions of safety more than for sound. In case of using transformer without galvanical connection of the load to the AK4490' GND, seems it is not needed to fulfil this condition. At least I have experimented on my 4490 with shorting the + and - outputs together - and it is alive after for now without any impact to the sound quality in normal usage. But if you will short any of outputs to the GND, probably this will destroy (overburning) the chip (I have such expirience and some guys too). In terms of transformer quality - it is always better to lower the DCR of the coils, but oftenly it is too hard to do due to straight relation with wire diameter (you are always limited by the available window around\inside the core). Moreover a lot of transformers in the market are rated to use with AK449x, but has much less than 1.5kOhm of DCR. Say... High DCR was just a version earlier.

Difference between 80H+80H:80H+80H (320H:320H) and 0.5+0.5:0.5+0.5 from post#25 is that it was 20H+20H:20H+20H (80H:80H). For now I am using better cores\wires\approach.

Very useful information.
I don't used the DACs ground on primaries windings. If you connect the DAC gnd you have a dc on primaries windings!
Regards with DC load, page10 Note11 says : The load resistance value is with respect to ground. Analog characteristics are sensitive to capacitive load that is connected to the output pin. Therefore the capacitive load must be minimized.
If you leaved floating, I don't think so that this important.

In dual mono setup AK4490/93/97 each chip plays a different channel, one chip for L and the other for the R, you win a 3dB SNR and you have a better linearity due to multiple chips.

I am wondering (for lower price), if I need a dual primary-secondary winding or a single for SE or XLR Outputs. I have attached a schematics about this. Probably a single winding is the same of dual and it has lower price for manufacturing.

Attachments

• SE Output on AKM Voltage dacs.png
    SE Output on AKM Voltage dacs.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 735
  • SE Output on AKM Voltage dacs, one primary winding.png
    SE Output on AKM Voltage dacs, one primary winding.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 696
  • XLR Output on AKM Voltage dacs, one primary winding.png
    XLR Output on AKM Voltage dacs, one primary winding.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 673