OTH40C 15" loaded Compact TH Flat to 40hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been trying to figure out a way to incorporate the effect of the shading on the cross-section in that area. I don't think HornResp can model the effect of driver shading the mouth, at least not directly. I'm going to guess that the Fb and upper bass response is reduced, the amount depending on how much of the mouth section is shaded.

Once I come up with an equation to calculate the driver's cross-sectional area at different points (I'm going to model it as a truncated cone capped by a flattish cylinder (representing the magnet structure), I'm going to incorporate it into my TH layout spreadsheet, so I can have a better visual representation of the impact.

Take the volume of the speaker and add it to the last segment volume of the enclosure. Use the revised model for building. Revert back to the original model for performance.

refer to post #31

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...oaded-compact-th-flat-40hz-4.html#post3910199

"so, the volume of the area where the driver is, is 39 liters. the driver occupies 5.1 liters of this space, a 12 percent reduction in volume. dunno what this translates too, again."

that being said, at its widest point, the driver *can shade* as much at 40% of the CSA, even while only occupying 12 percent of the volume. adjusting this (in hornresp) would likely not be accurate because you are changing the flare to much. akabak is requisite.

Attachments

• SS15.png
    SS15.png
    358.8 KB · Views: 258
I am not a skilled carpenter and dont have fancy power tools so building complicated cabinets is not for me and the cost of paying a joiner to build a tapped horn is mega $$$
I decided to keep it simple with a small (44 litres) sealed box and invest my money in an amazing driver that is flat to 30Hz in room with massive headroom and the lowest power compression ( thermal distortion) of any 15-inch driver I have found.
Highly recommended!!

Attachments

• PD 1550 SIM .pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 60
I am not a skilled carpenter and dont have fancy power tools so building complicated cabinets is not for me and the cost of paying a joiner to build a tapped horn is mega $$$
I decided to keep it simple with a small (44 litres) sealed box and invest my money in an amazing driver that is flat to 30Hz in room with massive headroom and the lowest power compression ( thermal distortion) of any 15-inch driver I have found.
Highly recommended!!

Alex,

I'm afraid the Faital Pro 15HP1030-loaded Oth40C would wipe the floor with a sealed box in terms of output.

Not only does the Faital unit have considerably more Xmax than the PD driver you've simulated, but the tapped horn aids the driver much more than a sealed box. The tapped horn here was around 98dB@1w down to 40Hz, and with the driver used, I'd expect a couple of kilowatts would be fine for short-term power. It'd manage around 128dB before thermal problems come in.

Having actually used sealed boxes for PA systems, I'd strongly recommend against it unless you have a very particular reason to do so.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.