OTH40C 15" loaded Compact TH Flat to 40hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Faitals *finally* showed up. triple boxed. Here is next to a 3015lf

Attachments

• photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 993
made a little more progress today before tornado warnings drove me inside...

was slowed down quite a bit by the 2 hour worthless phone call with Parts express.

Attachments

• photo (15).JPG
    photo (15).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 909
  • photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 896
  • photo (16).JPG
    photo (16).JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 892
eh, its pretty shady in there certainly.

not any more than the tham 15 though (even less actually)

I may go ahead and recess another 1/4 inch.... i've got about 1.2 inches between the vent and the back panel as of right now.

Attachments

• driverspaceoth40c.jpg
    driverspaceoth40c.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
eh, its pretty shady in there certainly.

not any more than the tham 15 though (even less actually)

I've been trying to figure out a way to incorporate the effect of the shading on the cross-section in that area. I don't think HornResp can model the effect of driver shading the mouth, at least not directly. I'm going to guess that the Fb and upper bass response is reduced, the amount depending on how much of the mouth section is shaded.

Once I come up with an equation to calculate the driver's cross-sectional area at different points (I'm going to model it as a truncated cone capped by a flattish cylinder (representing the magnet structure), I'm going to incorporate it into my TH layout spreadsheet, so I can have a better visual representation of the impact.

I expect that excursion will be slightly increased, and upper bass shall be diminished as well (with an increase in the 140 dip too). thankfully, there's plenty of excursion to spare up there...

guess we wont know till I finish (and verify I even have the right driver) and I run some measurements :/

EDIT

so, the volume of the area where the driver is, is 39 liters. the driver occupies 5.1 liters of this space, a 12 percent reduction in volume. dunno what this translates too, again.

Last edited:
box 1 is just about buttoned up. just need to do the back reflector piece, and secure the speakon jack plate. :D

then begins my least favorite part. Actually making it look nice.

Attachments

• photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 948
  • photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    622 KB · Views: 918
  • photo (19).JPG
    photo (19).JPG
    611 KB · Views: 912
That looks like its a representation of the cone correction to be applied at S2, not the impact of the driver's cone, basket and magnet structure at S3 (or S4, if you're modelling the TH in HornResp using four segments)

You can get the restriction of the frame and motor modeled in Akabak or ABEC3. I include this in my final drafts but truthfully it really doesn't make as much of a difference as you would think. It is noticeable with overlays but isn't really enough to spend a lot of time on IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.