• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OPT Characterization

post 25 of your previous thread on Williamsons
" And I don't think there is any benefit to test at high power and at high frequencies above say 10-20kHz"

Excuse, better is the right definition, my error. Not fine

Marketing? what do you say? These are test lab published 4 years ago in a magazine after lot of measurement.
To be precise Audioreview magazine exist from 1982.
The purpose was to show a smart and efficent ( the most efficent) way to test the OT. That's all.
After four years nobody show that this method was wrong.

The use for many decades the primary is not a definitive law.
Again, the only way to understand the OT from 0,000001 watt to max power specified is driving it from secondary.
For the simply reason, as wrote in the past many times, that there aren't generator that can delivery a great swing with the lowest THD possible.

Last, you have published a good diagram about impedance that is perfectly similar ( with less info) what Fabrizio done with his sw ( and published on Audioreview magazine) four year before (2017).
So we aren't so nerd as you think. :)

Of course, if you think that my tests are not rigorous, please show your measurement to confirm they aren't .

Walter

'not necessary' is not the same as 'I don't think' - 'not necessary' requires certainty (been there, done that). Do you appreciate the difference in meaning?

Once again you use the word 'wrong' to describe a method. Do you appreciate that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' method?

There is a generator that can do that level of drive - it is just onerous to prepare - and it appears that you asked someone to make such an amp and they said they couldn't - that doesn't mean it can't be done.

I don't think you are a nerd - so please don't infer that I would, even in jest. If you have an article to reference then please provide an internet link.

Where did I say your tests are not rigorous? I said you have not yet done rigorous comparison testing between the two methods. Do you appreciate the difference in meaning?

Ok, you are playing with word.

'not necessary' is not the same as 'I don't think' - 'not necessary' requires certainty (been there, done that). Do you appreciate the difference in meaning?

No!

"Once again you use the word 'wrong' to describe a method. Do you appreciate that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' method?!

I said that the method I described is better ( or fine, or best, or conveninent, as you want), more easy and complete.

"and it appears that you asked someone to make such an amp and they said they couldn't"

What?????

"Once again you use the word 'wrong' to describe a method. Do you appreciate that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' method?"

I specified more tha one time the reference and reported the test lab from Audioreview magazine

"Where did I say your tests are not rigorous?"

I wrote " if you think".
I am rigorous with my word ( of course my english is not perfect)

Walter

post #125 indicates "We are trying to do something but we stop at around the half, the main problem is that the P mosfet have a max voltage limited to 500/550 vdc."

I'd anticipate many have never seen Audioreview magazine. If I google search I don't find a website with access to magazines. Can you please provide a URL link to the particular magazine article.

But have you understood my phrase or not ( on that post)?
You continue to play with word.
I wrote "we" not "someone"
Take a care with the comments

This is the link
AudioReview - Il sito ufficiale della rivista

I haven't the authority to link the article.
The nr. are 385 and 392.
And you can see a shoùt from those article posted, some of them, in the early post.
If you want you can buy the two magazine.
In case I ask to Mauro, the mega-director, to allow me to send free the copy to you, so you can save money and learn something interesting.

Walter

Last edited:
The problem was dismiss at that time after the test on driving the secondary,
Don't need to develop something complicate.
If you look on picture on post 139 you can see a test set in progress with a ss power amp with fet used as driver.mIt can deliver 125 watt rms on 8 ohms, enough to drive the secondary ( with a resistor in series)

Walter

Do you refer to the following equipment?

952128d1621174836-opt-characterization-test_trafo_2-jpg

Why to use high voltage devices (complementary devices) for driving secondary winding of an audio OPT transformer?

Nobody speaks about high voltage devices for drive the secondary.
The first intention was to build an amp to deliver around +/- 300 Vrms to drive the primary.
Then with the test driving the secondary with a normal ss amp the problem was gone.
In the photo the amp is on lower part of chassis

Walter

Are you certain it doesn't come somewhere from your schematic?
Might be a series OPT resonance, but wow, it's in the audio band.

Could this be an air-gapped power transformer coil geometry OPT? Is your secondary loaded? Can you measure again with 2x increased and 2x decreased load?