Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Hi Coris

Please can you pm me details of the basic diy upgrades you have available for the 205. Mainly I think I'm interested in the power supply as that looks within my capabilities but definitely interested to hear about other tweaks that are relatively straightforward to implement I've done a few tube amp and pass amp kits but don't feel to confident about getting into anything to deep with the 205 so interested in what you might suggest as options.

Thanks
Jamie

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If I want to add a Femto clock to my UDP 203 and as well as an LPS. Is there anything I need to look for in particular before ordering my LPS?
Please note first that the Femto clock board it use quite much power (around 300mA). This it mean that it should have its own power supply. Well, this it may not be a big issue, but the Femto clock is not designed particularly to synchronise the providing of the clock signal with the device power on event. This board as it is powered by an power supply, it provide continuously clock signal. Even when the player or device it is mounted into, it is powered off. This it mean that the processor or the component it is providing clock signal to, it get clock signal while all of other of its power rails it are powered off. This is not good in my opinion. Also such functionality is not recommended by the the processors producers. So, if you may install a such board, then you should find a way to synchronise the start up of the clock signal, with the device power on sequence. One can of course power up the PSU of the Femto board when the whole device is powered up, but then (because som filtering involved), the start up of the clock signal may be quite much delayed. Such delay may also be present when one chose to power up only the Femto clock, from an always on PSU. Ideally, only the clock signal should start up when the rest of the device it is also powered up...
This issue (problem) is addressed in my upgrade approach, where my LPS it also provide full control for my clock board so that the clock signal is correctly provided/outputted, only when the whole device is powered on. My clock board (battery powered clock system) it works in tandem with my LPS.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
@Coris I am a new member of this forum based on reviews of your LPS for an OPPO 203. I am very interested in getting more information to order an LPS.
Will the performance over HDMI be improved as well? I'm not sure how to PM on here.

Thanks
Indeed, the LPS it improve dramatically both picture and digital sound, as the analogue sound, if is used the LPS version which it power the analogue (DAC) board as well. For even more improvements for analogue sound, particular upgrades are necessary on the audio board.
For PM messages, one can just click on the (my) Member icon in the left panel of the messages field here, and then chose "Start a conversation". Else, I hope you can access and read my PM message to you, about more details in the 203 LPS matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The laser diodes inside the optical drive it have a limited life span. Mainly it depends on how often the drive is used for disk playback. Also the life of the laser diodes it depends on the manufacturing process. Some batches of these components it last longer, and other shorter. However, the life span of Oppo optical drive it should last for many years for a moderate use.
In case of failure, it seems some service centres (previously Oppo agreed ones) it still replace such drivers.

Hello friends!
I'm new, I just read the forum today.
I've been digging my 205 for a week. I've tried almost everything. Nothing not like left everything as it was from the factory. In addition, I disconnected the earth cable, which is from the network cable to the case, pulled out 2 capacitors in the pulsed power supply, which are on the ground of the chassis, replaced the capacitor with 220uf 400v, put two ferrite flat coils on the flat cable between the top board and the bottom in the photo. Because of the coils, the sound has improved a lot (it seemed), and their position on the cable affects the sound.
What do more and less experienced people think - are these coils better or worse for sound? (I'm puzzled)
And in the plans to change the diodes for bipolar power to fast but not shots, to RHRP860.

Attachments

• PXL_20230221_183918752.jpg
    PXL_20230221_183918752.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Moon1,
Please repost this in English as that is the accepted language here.

This is what I got from translation:
Hello friends! I'm new, I just read the forum today. I dug my 205th week. I have tried almost everything. Did not like anything left everything as it was from the factory. Additionally, I disconnected the ground cable, which was from the network cable to the case, pulled out 2 capacitors in the switching power supply, which were on the ground of the case, replaced the capacitor with 220 microfarads 400v, put two flat ferrite coils on the cable between the top board and the bottom one in the photo. Because of the coils, the sound improved a lot (it seemed), and their position on the cable affects the sound. What do more and less experienced people think - are these coils better or worse in sound? (I'm puzzled) And I plan to change the diodes for bipolar power to fast but not firing ones, to RHRP860. I really need advice on which clock generator to buy and where is the best place?
Is it accurate?