Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

Nothing to be sorry man!! Please!! All the luck with your accounting class!!

Also... Yes. I've followed de ASR Directiva thread, but as @HammerSandwich said, it won't meet my budget and it's an active design. Heissmann acoustics is another alternative (with DXT), but in the end... I think SB17+SB26+Augerpro, price/performance wise IT's the way to go... I calculate it should be around USD$300 per speaker (not accounting for the enclosure) which is spot on. If there is a cheaper woofer alternative with SB26+Augerpro I would also jump on it!

Reactions: 1 user
@monty6400

Very nice!! Surely you will get a TON more dynamic range and sound pressure compred to the Genelecs!

Price wise thou... at least for me... it's a lot compared to the Genelec's. Your design is around USD$800 aprox. per speaker (not counting on box of course)?

My room is small by the way... and by small, I mean small by europe's standards not US's standards, around 25 cubic meters (2,5mtW x 4D x 2,5H aprox.).
For me the price difference isn’t too much. The total cost for the DIY is around £600 per speaker compared to £490 per Genelec. Here is how the prototype waveguide looks and the woofer, I plan on building a test box soon. If I am happy with the performance I’ll either use a better printed waveguide, sand and try to make use of the current waveguide or get the front baffle CNC from MDF with the waveguide integrated.

Strangely enough, my room is almost the same size. 5x2.5x2.3m! The Genelecs sound awesome but struggle even with a 4th 120hz HP for high level playback!

Attachments

• 88B1142F-FDD2-4217-8089-0760DB592970.jpeg
    88B1142F-FDD2-4217-8089-0760DB592970.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
It does look like they printed it with the mouth down on the bed which is why the inner contour is so lumpy. There is going to be a lot of work to sand and fill that out.

If you want to continue with what you have start with coarser grit like 80 or 120 grit to remove the material more quickly to get to the point you want add some filler, then fill sand, rinse repeat until the surface is getting smoother progressively working through the grits. Stop when you have had enough or the surface is smooth enough for you.

If you have or got some scrapers the process would go quicker

Prototype box completed and some very rough REW EQ and time alignment. Measurements performed inside. Unfortunately this meant a 2.8ms gate on the measurments due to reflections, I plan on taking this outside and using VituixCad when the weather permits. Looking promising so far though. Did some mono-listening with a Genelec 8030c side by side, both high passed at 120hz. They sound more similar than different, although so far I would say I can here some resonance from the DIY box in the 400hz ish region. Will do proper distortion measurements when outside. (Far = farfield near=near field for the picture labels).

Attachments

• IMG-9084.jpg
    IMG-9084.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Overall Far Field, 15, 30, 45.jpg
    Overall Far Field, 15, 30, 45.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Tweeter EQ.jpg
    Tweeter EQ.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 98
  • Tweeter No EQ.jpg
    Tweeter No EQ.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 97
  • Woofer Far EQ.jpg
    Woofer Far EQ.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Woofer No EQ Far and Near.jpg
    Woofer No EQ Far and Near.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: 2 users
with a cheap peerless woofer
Don't write off those Peerless woofers because they are cheap.
There are quite some extremely well known and respected brands out there that basically use exactly those woofers, or a derivative from it. (even shown in this topic in a nice grey finished box)

Maybe an idea to use a battery backup system or a UPS for those 3d printers ;)

Does anyone have any tips for using Revell Plasto for smoothing out my waveguide. How to apply, how much to apply, all over? And what sandpaper to use? Thanks guys!
I do sanding and the use spray filler, 2-3x. This fills pretty good and you are free with the next layers of colour.
With some fine tuning of my print configuration I get way nicer surfaces now. Only needs a few minutes sanding (but starting rough, 60-80. Not to much pressure. 120 as last step is enough for the spray filler)

Prototype box completed and some very rough REW EQ and time alignment. Measurements performed inside. Unfortunately this meant a 2.8ms gate on the measurments due to reflections, I plan on taking this outside and using VituixCad when the weather permits. Looking promising so far though. Did some mono-listening with a Genelec 8030c side by side, both high passed at 120hz. They sound more similar than different, although so far I would say I can here some resonance from the DIY box in the 400hz ish region. Will do proper distortion measurements when outside. (Far = farfield near=near field for the picture labels).
You probably already know this, so apologies for telling you how to suck eggs - Those wiggles between 6-20k are possibly just your mic/boom setup so no need to try and correct those.