Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

b_force please keep us posted: having a keen eye on that LaVoce super bargain.

I am more than happy to do so, but at this moment I am completely stuck even getting a waveguide out of that software program :(

btw, I personally think the Tymphany mini tweeters are better.
Also have a lower Fs.

But just don't know what is gonna happen. It seems they are just go into full bulk mode, except for a few products :(

Last edited:
Now that I've nailed down the T25B waveguides, I have a T25A on hand to measure on this group of waveguides to see how it does also. Final designs will include both circular and elliptical mouth waveguides.

Then I would like to move on to the T34B, so if anyone has one they would be willing to let work with, that would be great!

Now that I've nailed down the T25B waveguides, I have a T25A on hand to measure on this group of waveguides to see how it does also. Final designs will include both circular and elliptical mouth waveguides.

Then I would like to move on to the T34B, so if anyone has one they would be willing to let work with, that would be great!

have you looked through this thread yet? Pida has a design he already used in his 3 way

New project: Bliesma T34B in WG, 18WE, 32W

nanou64000> I share all my designs at my website

profiguy> yep I check in on that thread every now and then. It was one reason I was encouraged to try the T34, previously I thought the dome too big to work well so hadn't considered it. I'll being creating at least a 6.5" and 8" variant, elliptical and circular mouth. This will complement my T25 designs well because I only went as large as 6.5" for that tweeter given the natural rolloff won't allow it to play very low anyway.

nanou64000> I need to clarify: when comparing elliptical to circular, I make the better one available to download. In the case of the T25B, I didn't think the circular was better, just different, and it seemed something between circular and 1:0.618 aspect ratio elliptical would be best. I investigated that a few posts back with a 1:0.8 and 1:0.68 aspect ratio and the 1:0.68 seemed the best of all, so that is what I made available. Different tweeters respond differently, so some have the circular version available and some don't.

Hi Brandon: will you be including a 5-inch waveguide among those that you attempt for the T34?
In the context of the reduced C2C-distance speaker designs that I have been working on, I prefer tweeters that can be used with lower crossover frequencies yet have small faceplate heights.

So far the most suitable tweeter for such applications has turned out to be the Wavecor TW030WA11 / TW030WA12 (which have 115mm / 4.53-inch Ø faceplates), but it would be good to have alternatives.

http://www.wavecor.com/TW030WA11_12_specifications.pdf

nanou64000> I need to clarify: when comparing elliptical to circular, I make the better one available to download. In the case of the T25B, I didn't think the circular was better, just different, and it seemed something between circular and 1:0.618 aspect ratio elliptical would be best. I investigated that a few posts back with a 1:0.8 and 1:0.68 aspect ratio and the 1:0.68 seemed the best of all, so that is what I made available. Different tweeters respond differently, so some have the circular version available and some don't.

Ok thanks, I had read your different tests with aspect ratio but I missed your conclusion. Now I understand what is on your website.

Going forward I'm thinking about posting .3MF instead of .STL files. They have the units included so there is no confusion if the design is in inches or mm. Also this format apparently reduces the weird intersecting manifold problems that some printers' websites choke on when you upload a .stl file. Anyone see any issue with this? I think most slicers can handle .3MF just fine?

The support material was maybe a bit sparse, but it did touch the whole surface.

I've edited the design and I'm going to see if I can change the alignment pins to holes of short dowels to be placed after printing. I'm also working with some friends with more 3D printing experience to see if I have a calibration issue.

I may end up changing the compression ring to a separate piece of shim stock. Do you know how sensitive these waveguides are with respect to errors in the axial dimension?