Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget

A (maybe) stupid question...
Is it possible to program the firmware on the board with AVR Dragon?

I'm using Atmel Studio 6, and for me it seems impossible.
I get an error for everything I try, including erasing or reading device ID.
Something like:

Unable to enter programming mode. Verify interface settings, target power and connections to the target device.

Severity: ERROR
ComponentId: 20100
StatusCode: 1
ModuleName: TCF (TCF command: Device:startSession failed.)

An unknown error occurred on the debugger. Debugger command Is Protected? failed.

The JTAG is correctly connected.
I tried to program one firmware on a UC3-A3 Xplained board that I have and there was no problem at all (so AVR Dragon is OK with drivers and all).
Is there anything special to know to program the AB 1.1 board with JTAG and AVR Dragon?

Sure, but I'm getting continuous hangups when using the "batchisp" command (I wrote a post about this some day ago ) and this creates an almost unusable board ... I found a complex way to send manually more commands to separately erase, then reset, then program without erasing .... in order to regain control of the board, but I was thinking that maybe with JTAG the update operation would be more simple ... after all it should be more powerful and controlling the device completely.

On the contrary it's not working at all on the AB 1.1, but it works perfectly on a standard UC3-A3 explained .. so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my board or something that I don't understand fully ...

I have an Atmel JTAG isp mkII. (See AVR JTAGICE mkII- Atmel Corporation)

Although I haven't programmed the firmware with it, I have used it to detect the MCU's VDD (3.3V expected) and reflash the bootloader. That was on a plain-vanilla AB-1.1 board without any mods. I think it was from AVR32Studio 2.6.

It would be interesting if you could try that tool on the board where the Dragon fails.

Børge

Unfortunately I have only the dragon.

I have some confusion in my toolchains installations, and now I'm trying to cleanup and reinstall in order to see if things works.
Anyway, I guess the problem is in the "fuses", probably the chip has the JTAG locked. I tried to verify this (the fuses) with a batchisp command, but I stopped after reading the actual values because I'm uncertain on how to define the hex file to reprogram the fuses with batchisp. Looks like I need a "hex" file,
I got a dump of the actual fuses configuration, but don't understand well how I can write a "hex" with standard fuse settings.

I read on the docs (on the linux part) that the fuses must be programmed to "fff7ffff", but none of the tools I have is able to program it easily, only batchisp seems to work, and I need to understand a correct command line to do it.

Nothing.

After one day of trials I'm still stuck at the start. The Batchisp works on random base, and JTAG don't work at all.
I feared there was a hardware short somewhere, did some check, but nothing. Also the signals on JTAG pins look ok.

One final question: I read on the documentation of the UC3 and Dragon that in order to use JTAG we must be sure that it's enabled, and it's not so on some chips. In particular:
"Enabling the JTAG Enable fuse

If the JTAGEN fuse (JTAG Enable) in the target device is un-programmed, the JTAG Interface will be disabled. This fuse cannot be programmed through the JTAG Interface and must therefore be programmed through the SPI Interface or High Voltage Serial or Parallel Interface. "

On the reference of the UC3 I read also that there is a bit in the clock mask (OCD bit in CPUMASK) that must be at 1 if one wants to debug using JTAG.
Can anybody tell me if the clock of the JTAG is stopped in actual firmware?

As far as I know there isn't an official mods thread. If you want to mod things you may have a look at the AB-1.12 / 1.13 prototyping boards.

I just got news today that the AB-1.2 is about three weeks behind schedule. Sorry for that folks! I've been very busy qualifying suppliers who can make them reliably and at price which makes it worth while for me.

Cheers,
Børge

I am too! Maybe the firmware isn't the most recent one.

One thing I'm looking forward to is inserting the SPDIF output parts on my AB-1.12 prototype. Then it should be possible to record the samples that go through the USB port and the MCU. I don't have an SPDIF DAC or a recorder here. I'll se what I can borrow from friends.

Demian, do you have the stuff to do tests like that?

Børge

There is a discussion group in google called audio-widget and you cam search the old posts about mods. The mods include:

1 Using USB power still, changing of caps
2. USB power, replacing ADP151 with series or shunt regulators
3. External power, batteries etc.

All lead ro significant provements in SQ.

4. TODO isolation of I2S and separate power to DAC - from some testa done, erc the isolation of the USB ground from the widget ground - will probably lead to another lecel of improvement in SQ.

5 change of DAC chip eg to AK

So there are plenty of mods possible.

Alex

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am too! Maybe the firmware isn't the most recent one.

One thing I'm looking forward to is inserting the SPDIF output parts on my AB-1.12 prototype. Then it should be possible to record the samples that go through the USB port and the MCU. I don't have an SPDIF DAC or a recorder here. I'll se what I can borrow from friends.

Demian, do you have the stuff to do tests like that?

Børge

I can do some of that. It gets pretty boring fast. Either it works or somethings broken. Unless a dsp is hiding somewhere.