Open Source "Tower XL"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no problem w either of the options and as much as I want to go with AE but I just do not like the fact that AE does not answer back before ordering the drivers and makes me think that we may have harder time returning the drivers if it didn't work out. just thinking out loud looking for feedback.

Aatto,

Maybe we have to wait some time, I only sent my message to AE last Tuesday.

Concerning 8 inch midranges, I am not such favorite, because they have less power for upper medium frequencies. Combined with a tweeter with a waveguide, the power response can be designed flat, but the global power will be lower at higher frequencies than with a 5 - 7 inch midrange.
There are also 8 inch midranges with a soft cone breakup for the higher frequencies with also more power in that frequency region, like full range drivers do. But you have to find the good sounding ones.
From my side, I prefer more drivers with a constant piston behavior in the pass band as good as possible, but it is my thougth about it.

I do not understand the TL vs BR argumentation a few pages ago. Most people do not understand basic BR boxes, or they would have a significantly better reputation.
Design your BR using TL tools and you have a much better understanding of what it is you are making.

Are you guys done fighting over drivers yet? Which one is it? Settled for good on the AE 15?

edit:
And what about the Faital M5N8-80 as mid? 5" that's good from maybe 300hz up to 2500hz.

Last edited:
If something does not conform to the specs given in the datasheet, any reputable seller should take it back and give you a refund or provide a replacement that works as described in the datasheet. No need to be worried as long you get your stuff from a reliable source.

good thing is there s no other sources that I know of, you buy it from AE itself :)

Aatto,

Maybe we have to wait some time, I only sent my message to AE last Tuesday.

Concerning 8 inch midranges, I am not such favorite, because they have less power for upper medium frequencies. Combined with a tweeter with a waveguide, the power response can be designed flat, but the global power will be lower at higher frequencies than with a 5 - 7 inch midrange.
There are also 8 inch midranges with a soft cone breakup for the higher frequencies with also more power in that frequency region, like full range drivers do. But you have to find the good sounding ones.
From my side, I prefer more drivers with a constant piston behavior in the pass band as good as possible, but it is my thougth about it.

you got a good point. well lets see how the AE goes then :)

I do not understand the TL vs BR argumentation a few pages ago. Most people do not understand basic BR boxes, or they would have a significantly better reputation.
Design your BR using TL tools and you have a much better understanding of what it is you are making.

Are you guys done fighting over drivers yet? Which one is it? Settled for good on the AE 15?

edit:
And what about the Faital M5N8-80 as mid? 5" that's good from maybe 300hz up to 2500hz.

no the fight never ends :D you should have seen the other guy :fight:

I guess AE TD15X it is.
I always heard good things about Faitals, the only Faital I heard tho was a small full range which sounded pretty nice. but what about small 1.9 QMS for M5N8-80 ?

Aatto:
It's a relatively small driver, not intended for bass applications. It looks good enough to me. Smooth roll off at both ends.

Lordsansui:
Yes, I am aware of those, and I am myself a big fan of TL/MLTL/QWT variations. But I do not understand why Bass-reflex should be considered "Simpler" or "more easy to understand"? The only reason they would be simpler to understand is if you're taking shortcuts in the design phase, and that is a good way to ruin perfectly fine building material (and time spent).

I considered BR to be "simpler" than TL specifically for the novice DIYer, mostly because BR is a design type that a newer DIYer is more likely to have some familiarity with. When one begins the process of learning how to build speakers, most of the basic information out there (at least that I've found) talks about "ported vs sealed" or BR vs closed box. It isn't until one starts digging deeper that one begins to learn about other design variations such as TL, or horns, or electrostatic, et cetera. So from the perspective of the beginning DIYer, they will have more familiarity with how a BR works and may never have even heard of TL, which makes it seem easier and less intimidating, which makes them more likely to actually want to build the design.

I won't argue about whether TL vs BR is easier or harder in actuality, because I don't have the knowledge to do so; however, I believe the perception of the beginner will make the BR seem "simpler" due to their greater familiarity with the concepts involved in it.

mid drivers updated on first post :)
Just to compare these mid drivers to each other, I calculated the efficiency at 2.83 Vrms/1m/half space of all, out of the TSP parameters of the datasheet.
I have added also the sensitivity mentioned in the datasheet.

Acoustic Elegance TD6M
Calculated with TSP: 94.1 dB < -- > 94.3 dB (2.83V) in datasheet

18sound 6ND430
Calculated with TSP: 93.5 dB < -- > 92.0 dB (1W/1m) in datasheet

B&C 6MD38
Calculated with TSP: 94.5 dB < -- > 96.0 dB (2.83V) in datasheet

B&C 6NDL38
Calculated with TSP: 91.4 dB < -- > 92.0 dB (2.83V) in datasheet

Faital Pro M5N8-80
Calculated with TSP: 96.1 dB < -- > 99.0 dB (1W/1m) in datasheet

Some other remarks:
- Faital Pro M5N8-80: Qms = 1.9 is low and fs = 180 Hz is high for a low X-over frequency. Also THD is increasing closer to fs.
- B&C 6NDL38: Qms = 11.5, smooth SPL, sensitivity at low side, we have to look in simulation
- B&C 6MD38: fs = 130 Hz is rather high.
- AE TD6M and 18sound 6ND430 looking ok technical

interesting looking driver, any price tags ? and let us know your impression.

The mid/woofers are about $250 each. In that particular room and placement they were slightly soft on the low end.

What is more interesting, talking to Dusty, the company WANTS to produce small runs of custom drivers. He was saying that they would be able to make a driver to custom spec for as small a run as 100 drivers.

So if there are 50 people interested in a group buy of 2 each, they would make a driver to whatever specs the group would want.

Last edited:
Just to compare these mid drivers to each other, I calculated the efficiency at 2.83 Vrms/1m/half space of all, out of the TSP parameters of the datasheet.

Acoustic Elegance TD6M

18sound 6ND430

B&C 6MD38

B&C 6NDL38

Faital Pro M5N8-80

Some other remarks:
- Faital Pro M5N8-80: Qms = 1.9 is low and fs = 180 Hz is high for a low X-over frequency. Also THD is increasing closer to fs.
- B&C 6NDL38: Qms = 11.5, smooth SPL, sensitivity at low side, we have to look in simulation

How about the Supravox 135 and 165 units?

The mid/woofers are about $250 each. In that particular room and placement they were slightly soft on the low end.

What is more interesting, talking to Dusty, the company WANTS to produce small runs of custom drivers. He was saying that they would be able to make a driver to custom spec for as small a run as 100 drivers.

So if there are 50 people interested in a group buy of 2 each, they would make a driver to whatever specs the group would want.

based on your wording seems like you are not that impressed with them :D
but running small custom batches is such good idea, it is a game changer and opens up a lot of opportunities here. Thanks :)

Acoustic Elegance TD6M

18sound 6ND430

B&C 6MD38

B&C 6NDL38

Faital Pro M5N8-80

Some other remarks:

Thanks Paul, first post updated :)

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I like the 165, looks interesting but the dealer in US they listed in their site is just a weblog last updated 2012 and couldn't find any other one shipping to US at the moment :(.

I'm not sure how easy they are to get here and I believe they are very pricy. I also have a bias against them because they seem to cater to the audiophile crowd whom I do not trust. I'd like to see distortion measurements, the csd did not look great.

I'm not sure how easy they are to get here and I believe they are very pricy. I also have a bias against them because they seem to cater to the audiophile crowd whom I do not trust. I'd like to see distortion measurements, the csd did not look great.

Shoudn't it be a good idea, to ask the manufacturers for more data about THD, for the midranges that look interesting now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.