Open Source "Tower XL"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The subject has been brought up previously.

You are welcome to use tubes on your own boxes, should you wish to do so.
Each and every builder can decide for him/her self when building. I am personally biased positively towards slot ports, and think there are very good reasons to go that way, rather than using tubes.

Paul Vancluysen, Kaffimann

that's good to know about the port and yeah I guess I ll skip the curve ;)

you are right about the thickness, the only reason I said 25mm is 1.5" (~37mm) is not that easily available but we can always go with gluing 2x 3/4 (2x19mm). can either adjust the depth accordingly or can make the front baffle stepping out about 8mm :)

thanks.

Aatto:

Have you also thought about, how to tune the port length if needed. In the first prototype it could be interesting.
I thougth at a removable bottom panel, but it is not that easy.
In your case in combination with a foot, you can integrate the bottom panel in the foot maybe. Just some thought...

hmmm, I can make the back panel removable and can add some extra pieces to adjust the port length maybe :), we'll figure it out ;)

Paul Vancluysen, Kaffimann

that's good to know about the port and yeah I guess I ll skip the curve ;)

you are right about the thickness, the only reason I said 25mm is 1.5" (~37mm) is not that easily available but we can always go with gluing 2x 3/4 (2x19mm). can either adjust the depth accordingly or can make the front baffle stepping out about 8mm :)

thanks.

An update of the cabinet Tower XL AE drawing to be conform for the simulation model.

Attachments

• Cabinet Tower XL AE 20181024.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 96
Theoretically a dome tweeter should work but in my experience they fall apart quickly when the going gets tough. Besides a cd sounds more dynamic and effortless imho. :)
I agree. I've never heard a dome go remotely close to matching a CD at SPL, especially in terms of distortion and especially longevity. Why have a throttle in a highly dynamic system like that. It's like buying a Koenigsegg and attaching a box trailer.

hmm, I haven't heard a CD that I would quite like, maybe they were bad designs but in my experience they don't sound as detailed as a good tweeter. I m not sure how to word it but to me CDs also sound a bit "bolder" than tweeters but again mybe I haven't heard a good one. In general I m not sure how other feels about CDs. from my understanding a good CD can be pretty expensive.
also a sensitive tweeter shouldn't have any problems keeping up with the SPL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.