Open baffle MTM questions

I had one more OB related question.
Simulation of U-frame OB shows that on first dipole peak U-frame radiation is nearly omnidirectional.
Is it really in this way or it is AKABAK simulation artifact?

Attachments

• OB_UframeOmni.PNG
    OB_UframeOmni.PNG
    285.2 KB · Views: 157
There is only one woofer. Depth of U-frame is 300 mm.
Simulation was fully made on Akabak 3, additionally is added + 6dB per octave rise on lower than 100 Hz frequencies.
On Edge simulation I see that also frequencies lower than first dipole peak had poor directivity. On Akabak simulation directivity below first dipole peak is OK.

For comparison H-frame had excellent directivity. On image is 300+300 mm H-frame, on axis response is equalized .

Attachments

• OB_Hframe1.PNG
    OB_Hframe1.PNG
    257.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I had double-triple time checked all parameters, they seem for me correct, or at least they are same for U-frame and H-frame simulations. If U-frame had omni radiation because it is undamped, then H-frame must have also omni radiation frequencies, as it is also undamped on simulation?
What dimensions you mean, depth?

Actually, I'd like to see AKABAK sim of a dipole in wide baffle, then in 3 steps when the baffle plate transforms to make first a shallow and then deeper U. Just keep distance from driver's midpoint to edge/above the bend constant. Then we shoud be able to see gradual change in dispersion!

Damping in the U tube is supposed to make the response cardioid, but it can't be calculated I suppose. Kimmosto and Kreskowsky have been there, done that
DIY-dipole-1
Cardioid bass

Last edited:
Your speakers look great.

Hi,

Yes, I have built the flowers, or petal baffles. The intention was not to have a true dipole, as this clearly is not possible with an 8-inch fullrange driver, but to provide an optimal loading for the drivers with a baffle as large as possible (following Rudolf´s suggestions of not having more than 2.5 times pathlength vs. cone diameter) while avoiding any negative baffle effects. Choice of mounting and baffle material of course plays it´s role as well, but the main intention was to provide a clear, diffraction-free "flowing" shape from the central part of the driver to the rolled-off "edges" of the baffles, without any discontinouities especially between cone and baffle.

The flowers have been very time and money cosuming to build, and I have never done it a second time. A good compromise is a trapezoidal baffle with very small wings, which doesn´t perform like the flowers, but is a lot easier to build.

All the best

Mattes