Open baffle MTM questions

Did I understand diffraction wrong, if I interpret it on speakers in way that diffraction is happening with radiation of same speaker cone side. If front cone side response is affected with radiation from rear side of cone then it is called dipole pekas and miniumums.
Does this help? :

"Assume a small unenclosed piston source in the center of a circular, flat baffle. The source radiates towards the front and with opposite polarity towards the back. A pressure increase in front is associated with a pressure decrease in back of the baffle. Observing again the response to a stepwise increase in pressure at some on-axis distance in front of the baffle, we see the initial pressure increase, which drops to 1/2 when the edge diffracted front side wave arrives. At the same time we also receive from the backside of the baffle that 1/2 portion of the wave, which was diffracted around the baffle edge into the frontal hemisphere. The 1/2 of the backside wave is of opposite polarity to the front wave and together with the front edge diffraction cancels the front wave completely(!)."

From here Frequently Asked Questions

The edge diffraction will be missing. This is something where Linkwitz's views on the audibility of baffle edge diffraction seem a little ambiguous to me.

Sound will still travel around the baffle it just won't appear as a separate source at the edge. This diffraction (baffle step if you like) is what causes the interference which creates the dipolar response.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The sphere supports much diffraction but does it in a preferrable way. If you place your head in the speaker position and look out, you cannot see around the curved sides to behind the cabinet. Sound will diffract there.
I found this What Do Roundovers Do? where with sphere speaker body diffraction nearly missing,
This post does not show diffraction... it shows the frequency response that you see from on-axis resulting from diffraction. This does not mean there is more or less diffraction, all the cabinets are similar in the bigger picture.

A comparison using ripple tank sim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 10.28.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 10.28.25 PM.png
    681.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 10.29.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 10.29.11 PM.png
    739.4 KB · Views: 110

Attachments

• mr183w 0-90¤ stand 7ms 112.jpg
    mr183w 0-90¤ stand 7ms 112.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 132
  • mr183w 90-180¤ stand 7ms 112.jpg
    mr183w 90-180¤ stand 7ms 112.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 125
  • valmisp.jpg
    valmisp.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Diffraction must be present at least in Akabak simulation, but it is difficult to separate just radiation and diffracted radiation.
I little look at Ripple tank simulations and find point source there is not actually point, but rectangular and creates diffraction without any obstacle.

Last edited: