• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

Marcel - Still no answer From John..?

A little detail I forgot all about is that all of the 1656 output scope shots I published were not of the real output. There was always that 59KHz passive low-pass RC filter between the 1656 and the RCA Out. I'm guessing that those pics are a rounded version of what really went on at pin 1 or pin 7.

I was just wondering whether one can get the kind of problem you had when the op-amp is mounted on a perfect PCB. That is, op-amp datasheets always warn you about capacitive loads, but should they also warn about inductive and resonant sources?

Based on my calculation, I think the answer is yes, not just for the OPA1656 but for any op-amp, particularly the fast ones.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Check the datasheets of the LMH6321 and also the OPA633. Both of them recommend a resistor in series with the input pin; example verbiage below.

That's why I included resistor R3 in the "Norwood" circuit, sold by the diyAudio Store as part of the M2x bundle. Capacitor C4 was included because I read section 6.6 of the LMH6321 datasheet, and decided to apply its recommendations. However, some phono preamps (e.g. Parasound JC-2) omit this capacitor and accept the bandwidth reduction since multi-megahertz isn't in the job description for an RIAA equalizer. Instead, these phonostage circuits connect an inductor in parallel with the series resistor, to mitigate its Johnson-Nyquist noise contribution in the audio band.

attachment.php

attachment.php

_

Attachments

• wording.png
    wording.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,309
  • norwood.png
    norwood.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,657
Last edited:
In a old audio express phono amp article by Dennis Colin he mentions the only way to tame the ad797 was to put a small r (221?) in series with the input pin
Member Syn08 improved on the circuit I’d have to look to see if he did the same, but iirc he did not use the ad797

After a long listening comparison over months with a number of modern audio OP-Amps, I can only say that the OPA1656 is one of the best integrated in terms of sound. With this, TI has achieved a great success. I've never tried discrete solutions like Burson. If you place more value on the acoustic end result, instead of endlessly philosophizing about technical parameters and the resulting best place of application, you should just try the 1656! For me it was worth it. ;-)

Unobtanium?

I finally got around to starting a project with the OPA1656. Last month, Mouser had 0 stock, but Digikey had some. When I checked just now, Digikey was out.
Mouser is showing a lead time of about 4 months (screenshot).

I checked the TI Store and they had 3(!), so I placed an order. I did get a confirmation email, so we'll if they show up. :D

Sigh...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.18.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.18.17 AM.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 490
Thanks for the suggestions - I always try Mouser and Digikey first since I buy a lot of stuff from them. Have not used Arrow in years. Cimarron is new to me. There are some suspicious offers on eBay from China. What was pretty amazing was that TI had only 3 in stock.

As far as adapters, I have a panel of these and lots of pin headers I solder on myself (yes I am cheap :D)

Attachments

• 71nKvbsKN9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71nKvbsKN9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Others may have other ideas especially if they have a broader knowledge of what’s out there in TI-land, what AD has to offer and/or legacy/older op amps. But MHO is that if you want a 1656 single, spec-wise the OPA627 single (unity gain stable) and its faster sibling the OPA637 (gains ≥ 5) come real close to or better the much newer OPA1656 dual. Compare them on paper for yourself as to what features or parameters are most important to your design.

FWIW, I’m biased towards sound quality, very low input bias current, low input voltage noise, and very low offset voltage a la the 1656. If this is an audio project, close your eyes and just get the 627 or the 637 depending on the gain needed. At least when I’ve done searches on “best op amp for audio” the OPA627/637 are on or near top shelf in the opinion of those DIYers who listen to many. Not much yet on the 1656 as an audio amp.

The 627/37 con is that they are expensive. The TI Store still has stock of the DIP-8 and the SOIC. Cimarron Technologies can mount one single SOIC on a DIP-8 adapter. Just ask. They have quite a stable of newer and older single and duals they offer in native SOIC or can mount on DIP-8 adapters. But for example two 627 singles mounted to a dual DIP-8 is $66 whereas one dual 1656 on a DIP-8 is $14.