• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

What remotely audible characteristics of this remarkable device are you having problems with?

And how did analog designers manage to produce such landmark designs as the Tektronix 7000-series mainframe oscilloscopes and plugins in the late 1960s before circuit simulation was remotely a twinkle in the eye?

Or the NASA Apollo missions?

Now sure I use Spice simulation too - but I accept it to be what it is: a cop-out in lieu of the level of circuit understanding of earlier generations

What remotely audible characteristics of this remarkable device are you having problems with?

The 1656 could very well be used in instrumentation/measurement tools where every last drop of its performance would be salient. I realize this is DiyAudio, but a decent number of folks do float in and out of precision analog design here, and no one has mentioned anything about audibility in a while (beyond the noise metric, which is fair for high gain apps)

Off topic: Alan Turing already mentioned circuit simulation as a potential application for electronic computers in 1945, in his system design report for the ACE computers. But then again, he was always ahead of his time.

Great! Trust Turing to have been ahead of the curve by decades. Shame he was hounded into suicide for the then illegal crime in the UK of being gay and being in a relationship.

^ Jan, we have all kinds of users on this forum that wouldn't have the context to know you (and HPW) wouldn't come from that direction. And I'd argue we're probably the minority when talking about opamp selection for non-audio-playback reasons. So let's not be too grouchy. :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
^ Jan, we have all kinds of users on this forum that wouldn't have the context to know you (and HPW) wouldn't come from that direction. And I'd argue we're probably the minority when talking about opamp selection for non-audio-playback reasons. So let's not be too grouchy. :)

No grouchiness intended! But I stand with my point, if you think that an OPA1656 somehow changes your music, it's, well, what's there to discuss?

Jan

Unknown is the given TI simulation model (827 & 1656) against the real implementation, but for sure the noise figure is for the OPA827 much better.

Not sure if we have the same understanding of "noise figure" but nevertheless, OPA1656 is less noisy than the OPA827, 2.9nV/rtHz vs. 4nV/rtHz both flat. Where OPA827 shines is DC precision (150uV offset vs. 500uV for the OPA1656) but that's largely irrelevant for audio applications.

High Frequency THD Rise and output current

Hi,
just wondering, if someone has more insight in OPA1656s THD behaviour at higher audio frequencies.

Datasheet:
Fig 7 shows THD+N vs frequency at Vout=3V(rms).

With G+1 and 2000R load, I(rms)=1,5mA, THD+N shows ca 0,00003% @10kHz (nice!)

With G+1 and 600R load, I(rms)= 5,0mA, THD+N shows ca 0,000055% @10kHz

When operating OPA1656 at higher signal voltages with a 2000R load,
output voltage then e.g. 6Vrms , I(rms) consequently 3mA:

Does the THD+N curve stay nearly flat over frequency or should I expect rising THD+N from 3kHz onwards?

What would be a reasonable maximum output current I(rms), that still provides a flat THD+N vs Freq curve?

Yes, but I couldn t find this specific information in the datasheet:

Fig. 7) & 9) are for 3Vrms,

Fig. 8) is valid only for 1kHz, but not for 5....20kHz

The 2k-load plot in Fig.7 stays nicely flat towards higher frequencies with Vout=3V(rms).

I wonder how the 2k-load curve would look like for higher Vout, 6V(rms), 9V(rms)? Is there an output voltage where the curve will start to bend upwards at higher frequencies?
B83hO4urmaw3AAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==