• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

One more 4P1L SE

Hi Michael,
I have a PSE similar to Andy's. Except I use a LL1692a in 1:1.75 configuration
In order to get a 1Vrms input sensitivity. It helps when you source has less then
2Vrms out.
In my experience I get some light micro phonics from the 4p1l driver but manageable. I use 3mm top plate and very heavy Brazilian cherry wood cabinet. I also attached all sockets using rubber grommets. You can see picture of my implementation if you go on my blog.
I also built Ale's Siberian gen 3 and I can tell you that the PSE sounds better without the preamp. I guess there are too many 4P1l in the chain.
I also tried toroidal transformers for filament supply but I didn't like sound so I am using now dual bobbin type transformers.
Best,
Radu

Hi Radu...

On this picture of your amp.

https://simplepleasuretubeamps.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/dsc00432.jpg

Is the Pot min/Max a volume control, or Is it for some kin of adjustment of
the current flow etc.

/Michael

Hi Radu.

I have read everything on your "shiny eyes" blog. According to your schematic I can
see that a huge amount of power is going throught the cathode resistors...

Is it really these numbers ???

power - 280v*120ma = 33.6 watt
driver - 15*560ma = 8.4 watt
PSE - 28*1300ma = 36.4 watt

And for a Stereo (33.6+8.4+36.4)*2 = 156.8 watt.

I thing I have read that Andy's power consumption on his 4P1L PSE was about 100 watt.

Have you tried to measure yours ??

I can see on both of your schematic that you're using huge resistors, don't the get really really hot ??

PS! Need to draw your schematics in LtSpice, but I have never done one with a transformer so i will take some learning time.

/Thanks Michael.

This is why fixed bias is a good idea... Filament bias has it's uses but I wouldn't do a power amp using it

316a

Well, yes if fixed bias sounded as good as filament bias. In both cases we don't have the cathode bypass cap, so that's progress. I have tried fixed bias but haven't yet got it to sound as good as filament bias. I do have a kit that Rod Coleman kindly sent me, but I haven't had time to build it yet - I've been very busy with work. I'm personally not worried about the power consumption - since my outputs are 4P1Ls I've saved a ton of money over using 300bs, so I'm well ahead.

Hi Radu.

I have read everything on your "shiny eyes" blog. According to your schematic I can
see that a huge amount of power is going throught the cathode resistors...

Is it really these numbers ???

power - 280v*120ma = 33.6 watt
driver - 15*560ma = 8.4 watt
PSE - 28*1300ma = 36.4 watt

And for a Stereo (33.6+8.4+36.4)*2 = 156.8 watt.

I thing I have read that Andy's power consumption on his 4P1L PSE was about 100 watt.

Have you tried to measure yours ??

I can see on both of your schematic that you're using huge resistors, don't the get really really hot ??

PS! Need to draw your schematics in LtSpice, but I have never done one with a transformer so i will take some learning time.

/Thanks Michael.

Hi Michael,
The power consumption is about 270VA ( I measured using an energy monitor such as thishttp://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_z)
I know it is a huge consumption ( prety much the energy efficiency of this device is close to zero) but the sound is rewarding. I am happy to use it in the winter though...radiates a good amount of heat.

The resistors in the cathode ( filament) circuit dissipate about 27W ( for the final stage ) and they get very hot ( can't be touched). I can run the amp 24 hours continuously and after an hour or so the temperature reaches a stabil point and things are not drifting anymore.

All. I can say is that I am very happy with the amp except for its weight.

Best,
Radu

Andy can you please post schematic of your DN2540 CCS in your posted schematic?
Are you using two cascode DN2540?
Is there any difference between your CCS and regular DN2540 CCS in tube anode?
Thanks.

This is for smoothing the B+ before the Glow Tube VR, not as an anode load. I use interstage transformers. The device is mounted on a small heatsink which is isolated from the chassis.

Attachments

• CCS IXYS.png
    CCS IXYS.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 737

Attachments

• 4P1L PSE Lundahl 25mA.png
    4P1L PSE Lundahl 25mA.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 563
Last edited: