Old Soul

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I believe 3U/300 Modushop - as reference - will serve 45W of dissipation, which Old Soul is having per channel

T-Bed is name of (already) Family of my test-bed chassis ; just on first one I made L bracket for pcbs, while later I realized that flat plate is more practical

no - of recent amps, just LuDEF is calling for L or T bracket - because LU1014 on one channel is mounted upside-down

for Old Soul - just rummage through myriad of my amps pictures and you'll see how pcbs can be mounted (original Babelfish M25/SissySITY thread, beginning)

though - for mounting of Ge thingy itself - you'll need piece of L or T bracket

be creative :clown:

if in doubt - make a sketch ( back of napkin good enough), post and I'll tell what I think

Joined 2017
Paid Member
yessa!

1st. part just arrived :p:D

stuff already looks very good, is there a doc what else I need (or... is it the complete kit for the board?)

many many thanks already

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like your address :rofl:

you have all the parts going on pcbs, including small heatsinkas and micas for cascode BD and needle end wire terminals for all fat connections, including those on HA!

what you need is thermal pads for mosfets and what you want as lower output (Ge or modern Si) , and input xformer , of course

no Tips and Tricks thread, too much work on other fronts, but whatever you have to ask, just shoot here

there is few tricks ( no more than common sense procedure) and I'll write that procedure as soon someone cries loud enough

input buffer setting being one area, output Iq and DC offset being second area of interest

do not forget to mount mica (plus some goop) for cascode BD

Joined 2017
Paid Member
With what to stuff HA! ?

Howdy friends

Having just build a psu once, the store's universal PSU, I'm only half-sure what to put into the HA which will feed Old Soul... caps aren't too difficult, but what resistors to stuff into? the universal PSU has 4 pcs 0r47 3W, totaling 0r1 12W...

per rail: 4 x 18000 uF 50V, is this overkill? (expensive buggers, but numbers seem nice) - see here

:cheers:

Thank you!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
R on Cap Bank board - I'm using 0R1/5W WWound (rectangular whities)
just elevate them for 2-3mm and they will last 100 yrs

caps - whatever you fancy, snap-in, which means 10mm pin to pin, up to 35mm Dia

input xformer - schematic shows note with 3 types

also - whichever you fancy

my fave being Cinemag, but nothing wrong with Jensen

of course, nothing wrong with Edcor either, but you'll always have suspicion worm eating ya, they're too cheap

:devily:

Joined 2017
Paid Member
another transformer question

This struck me yesterday just before falling into my daily deep sleep of innocence:

(Sorry if this is not so a good question)
Does it make sense at all to have 2 transformers feeding 1 HA, or should I better go with either 1 tranny-1HA OR 2 trannies-2HAs?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I haven‘t thought through my order, and thus got only one HA-board. So no dual mono. What’s more reasonable/better:

-build 2 complete plus and order a second HA!
-build a dull single PSU and if so,
—-use 1 transformer 2x18V 300VA
—-OR 2 transformers 18V 150VA?

Thank you!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven‘t thought through my order, and thus got only one HA-board. So no dual mono. What’s more reasonable/better:

-build 2 complete plus and order a second HA!
-build a dull single PSU and if so,
—-use 1 transformer 2x18V 300VA
—-OR 2 transformers 18V 150VA?

Thank you!

HA! consists of 2pcs of Cap Bank boards and 2pcs of Mains NTC boards

generally - for simple primary (Europe, one NTC per Donut) , one NTC board is good for 2 Donuts

for Boyz in US, using 2 NTCs per Donut, there are two boards covering 2 Donuts

regarding Cap Bank board - one per channel is good for Dual Mono or Monoblocks

if you got one Cap Bank board, that is my mistake which I will rectify ..... you sure that you unpacked everything ? :clown: