Official M2 schematic

If the only heat sinks you have available are already drilled to conform to the UMS, then you should NOT use the PCBs I designed.
Remember, this is a hobby, meant to give you pleasure when time permits. If this decision is causing you distress, just look for another solution.
I was quick to disclose in post #444 that my PCBs do not conform to the UMS, just so anybody interested would know right away what to expect.

Yep I am looking...there is none at the moment.
There is also another option I learn how to design PCBs...:eek:
Maybe someone is interested to make them for us poor greedy drillers who dont want to drill anymore...:)))

Last edited:
Many people just skim over the posts and end up missing valuable bits of information. If you read this one thru the end, you may find something useful.
The HiFi2000 heat sinks, both the single-piece 300mm and the dual-piece 400mm have their fins spaced at 10mm. The same is true for the Conrad heat sink. That means the spaces between the fins also occur in the same 10mm interval. If you have a PCB with mounting holes on a 10mm grid, you can align them with the spaces between the fins and drill through-holes instead of blind-holes.

attachment.php

You can then insert a screw between the fins and attach to a female-female style standoff on the heat sink’s flat surface. That will save you the additional work of tapping those holes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HolesBetweenFins.jpg
    HolesBetweenFins.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • ScrewsAndStandoff.jpg
    ScrewsAndStandoff.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,130
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Great idea, grimberg - and if you're not lucky enough that all the holes come between the fins, there are any number of videos on youtube on how to tap holes. That's how I learned, and I'm not the least bit handy - but now I have a power amp (ESP P101) to show for it, with heat sinks I drilled/tapped myself. Bring on the M2!

Figuring out solutions for mechanical challenges, or even just refining well known procedures is really gratifying. A few years ago I bought one of this on sale. It takes away a lot of the anxiety associated to tapping threads.

Shop our G8748 - Hand Tapping Machine at Grizzly.com

But even after I became comfortable with the process, I decided that there really isn't any reason to always drill and tap blind holes. That's when I decided to use the female-female style standoff with screws whenever possible.

Figuring out solutions for mechanical challenges, or even just refining well known procedures is really gratifying. A few years ago I bought one of this on sale. It takes away a lot of the anxiety associated to tapping threads.

Shop our G8748 - Hand Tapping Machine at Grizzly.com

But even after I became comfortable with the process, I decided that there really isn't any reason to always drill and tap blind holes. That's when I decided to use the female-female style standoff with screws whenever possible.

Tapping threads is easy.
What is more tricky is correctly drilling holes in precise locations so that every single hole has less than 0.5 mm error of where it should be.
Adds a few grey hairs every time. Hahahaha