Official M2 schematic

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• CMOQ-4LPC.jpg
    CMOQ-4LPC.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 766
The CMOQ-4 would result in much lower gain, right? So, you are using that transformer plus a high-output preamp?

I've had a pair of Cinemags with close to the same turns ratio as the original Edcors for almost a year, but have never got around to testing them in an M2-style circuit... Maybe this year?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The original M2 has a regulated power supply......

absolutely not

....... What is the highest but safe supply voltage that the M2 Output stage can take? Thanks.

if you cascode input JFets , change few values around optocoupler , say that 35V rails are still OK , considering 50W on each mosfet , if you keep them cool enough , with great care of thermal interface

Last night I listened to M2 singing with grimberg's board and Fairchild mosfets from buzzforb (FQA12P20/FQA16N25C).

Was able to zero output offset so the amp was dead quite.
At turn on (when amp is cold), you need to wait few secs. (~15) to stabilize before you can hear output from speakers.

However, I noticed the supply voltage sag different from both polarity (~0.3-1Vdc). Also, Vgs between N and P channel is different being 3.7Vdc from the N and 4.3Vdc from the P channel.

Is this normal due to the variation of N and P channel mosfets?

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The Vgs between the P and N channel are just differnent. No worries there.
In Teabags instructions, he noted that it was just a personal thing, and made the Harris unit available.

There is an anomaly with the one unit, I have used them with no personal issue, and as I remember back when I was building F5, Peter Daniels noted it, and had no issue with it. In that amp I found it rather nice.

As to the M2, I personally have only used Teabags sets, which included the Harris mosfet. If I was in posession of just the Vishay units, I dont think I myself would be alarmed.

Russellc

Thanks Dennis & Russel for your reply.

Tried the Toshiba OPT 2SK1530 & 2SJ201 been keeping some time, I thought its a good place to put this. I bought it from Blues intended for F5 few years ago. Highs and low significantly improved compared with FQA.
Vgs +/- diff now the same and supply drop tends to get closer probably because of the closely matched outputs. Slightly higher bias (R13/R14 drop 0.6Vdc compared with 0.4/0.5 of the FQA).
Used 1KVA torroid tranffo from a defective UPS having secondary 21.5Vac (14Vdc). Several hours playing did not even get warm:)
This amp got the attention of my wife in terms of how voices are sung.

Grimberg, thanks for sharing the M2 boards.

Thanks so much Nelson for a unique and special amplifier.

Last edited: