Official LYNX Power Amp builder’s thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: OPA134 Issue

ACD said:

This is just a notice that there may be a capacitance issue using the OPA134 opamp in the LYNX amp.

I'm not sure if this is related but here are my symptoms.

I started the preliminary tests last night, but was surprised to find 0v for the bias. Adjusting the pot has no effect. I have voltage at the zeners, 14.57/-14.57. I put my new scope on the OPA123 ouput and I have an 8v p-p sawtooth at roughly 1.8Mhz.

Any suggestions on how I can proceed to debug this baby ?

Thanks,
Argo

P.S. I have 4 boards with the same symptoms!

Sorry but I have never heart about OPA123, so I assume you mean OPA132......

Could be related to the same problem, as the OPA132 is a 8 MHz BW opamp.....

As expected these high speed opamps are extreme sensitive to radiated noise through supply wires and direct from the air.......
May be the reason, but I didn't had the time yet to do further experiments though.

EMX_125;

Think of your speaker as an resistor (either 8 Ohm or as your woofer 4 Ohm). Ohms law tells you the math ;)

The lower the resistance (load) is, the lower Rail Voltages are needed to produce the same Watts (Voltage*Current makes the Watts)......

If you want to benefitt of the 50 Volts DC into a 4 Ohm load, the amp must be able to deliver 50/4=12.5A. Take a look at the SOA curve for the MJE21193/21194 output devices. At 50 Volts their SOA limit is app. 2A each. Four output devices *2= 8A, which means you will need at least 3 extra output devices per Rail to benefit from the 50 Volt supply.

You can use your 50-0-50 Volt supply but you have to limit the output to 2A per device in the protection circuit, otherwise you will risk to blow your amp up one day, when turning the Volume to much up.

Note that this 2A per device restriction will allow you to get app. 125W into 4 Ohm.

Lynx Power Amp...

Jan.... I Used A 2 Pair Of MJE21193/94 Output Devices To Benefit
To 50VDC Supply Rail Into 4 Ohm Load You Means I Add A 3 Extra Output Device? However .... 50VDC Rail Voltage So What The VA Of The Transformer? How Can I Do This Amp To Improve A 400 Watts Into 4 Ohm Load? :confused: :confused:

Here In My Subwooper On The Bottom Right.......

Attachments

• copy of 4.jpg
    copy of 4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 743
It's official, the Lynx doesn't like OPA134's

ACD said:
Try first with a slow opamp and see what happens. If it still oscillate then carefully go through your wiring.

I took the plunge and ordered 4 OPA627's.
I swapped them in and everything is beautiful. Oscillations disappeared, and I was able to set the bias voltage.

Can someone explain however what is meant by "a slow op-amp" ?

I look at the spec sheets and see a gain-bandwidth product of 16Mhz for the OPA627 and 8Mhz for the OPA134. Does the higher number mean a slower op-amp ?

Thanks

P.S. Power transistors going in tonight, I can't wait to hear these babies rock !

argofanatic;

Glad you got your oscillation problems solved :)

However this makes it a bit more a mystery :confused:
A slow opamp is in the range of 1-2 MHz (in my terms), so solving the oscillation problem by using an even faster opamp is quite interesting......

I will some day try some other opamps with similar specs as the OPA134 to see if the problem is opamp based (OPA134) or has something to do with the bandwith of the used opamps.

Hi Jan,

OPA134 and 627 have different shape of open-loop amplitude response, and they differ in phase margin. Depending on application, the faster OPA627 is sometimes more stable than the slower OPA134. BUT, it really depends on the application. Especially in case of more complex feedback circuit, with active devices in the loop, the replacements have to be verified carefully.

Cheers,
Pavel

Thanks Pavel ;)

I know the difference in shape of open-loop amplitude respons (thanks for posting the image of the OPA134 respons) , but what puzzels me most is that the OPA134 works perfectly on some LYNXs' and not on others.

Seems like a very carefully component selection is needed for running the LYNX with the OPA134. I must be lucky to have select the right components to my LYNX amps from the very beginning......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.