• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

O2 amp parts GB, EU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
change of order

Oke, I'd like to update my order

- no desktopversion anymore
- B2 black enclosure instead of the bigger B3
- no rubber caps anymore
- no large jack
- no rca inputs
- no de-soldering wick

so my updated order consists of :
1x kit
1x transformer
1x B2-080BK Black Enclosure 100x80x30mm

50 W seems to be standard and works quite well. The ones we use are on 80 W and that extra heat helps a lot especially when soldering larger parts or on ground planes. But it's also a matter on how the heat is transferred to the tip, because some stations are very poor at transferring the heat so the tip cools down very fast and takes time to heat up again.
This can also be seen depending on if the temperature sensor is close or far away from the tip, i think thats one of the main reasons why there is such a huge difference between stations of the same power output.

I prefer this pen, note that a station is required. The advantage is that you could switch tip when its running without any tools and it heats up fast, maybe 15 seconds compared to several minutes with the cheapest one you linked.
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa/init.do?item=82-256-25

The cheap one you linked should have the sensor quite far from the tip and the heat transfer is quite poor since it takes a long time to build up heat. I hade problems the first time because when i put it towards a bitter plane it melted the solder but when the heat was dissipated to the plane the station couldn't keep up. I have never experienced this effect on any of the more expensive stations...

There are some tool tips, including soldering iron suggestions, listed in Circuit Board Construction. It's true higher-end soldering stations respond quicker to thermal conditions while soldering. But most of those cost more than all the O2 parts do. Any iron with closed loop (feedback) temperature control is much better than a fixed wattage iron or those using only an open loop "light dimmer" (AC duty cycle) temperature control.

I've seen many problems with the newer Weller equipment. Weller seems to design it all to intentionally fail one month past the 1 year warranty. None of the commercial contractors I work with will buy Weller equipment anymore. Pace is the brand I see most and what I use. Hakko is also good.

The iron I linked to in the section above is essentially a Chinese clone of the last generation mainstream Hakko and works fairly well for light use.

Yep, I forgot to delete the 'extras' field after you cancelled those... fixed now.

AND I sent a notification about the deadline today to all the unpaid guys.
(Except Architect because he will pay in the next minutes/hours and Zoid, because he just needs to pay the transformer when that is settled.)

Last edited:
Hey Jokener,
Just sent the payment.

One final question, which occurred to me afterwards: did the custom made AC transformers I ordered get cheaper? I expected them to be over 50€, but it seems as if they're only around 30€? Or am I mistaken here?

Thanks!

@CWF: The old, incompatible, Transformers was supposed to cost 15€.
One of the options we have will cost 28€ per unit, if I order 50 of them.
And Timpert has contacted a manufacturer that might match the 15€ price we had before.
Now we are waiting for Timperts manufacturer to deliver the quote and then I'll decide.
Only downside: IF we go with the more expensive 28€ units, everybody would have to re-pay and people could not back out or we would need more orders...
So we'll see how it turns out, I'll keep everybody in the loop.

@mango57: No problem! That's why I sent the reminder.

@all: Everything should be updated and the people that pulled out have been removed...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.