Notre Dame cathedral

"these French oaks will soon form part of the new spire at Notre Dame"
Notre Dame: After centuries in the ground, these French oaks will soon form part of the new spire - CNN Style
"This winter, drones were used to scan a snow-dusted forest near Le Mans in search of the first eight trunks that would be used to support the spire. The drones, with the help of 3D imagery, were used to seek out specimens measuring 3 feet wide and over 60 feet tall, with no visible defects.
...these trees were planted under King Louis XIV's reign in order to provide wood to build the masts for ships belonging to the French navy."

Wood can burn one more time in the future.
Imagine this happen again :redhot: :yikes:
I do keep original outside architecture but inside cathedral structure can be reconstructed with resistant to fire materials

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> perhaps Brazilian walnut would be a better choice (ipe). more fire resistant than oak, resistant to insects, naturally fire resistant.
> Please keep the trees in his own land sacred amazonian forest. We can do it with French steel and keep original architectural shape
> Have you also sent that message to Notre Dame restoration management team?
> You thinks they receive email messages from French cityzens ?

It is far too late for such fresh thinking. The French Oaks are on the ground. If the steel company is disappointed, they can cry for a sprinkler-pipe contract. The cityzens? We have a saying: "Everybody talks about the weather but nobody seems to do anything about it."

I just thought "we" might like to see what is happening. Some big wood there. (I have and have felled 60+ foot trees but light spruce half the diameter of these oaks.)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If I were in charge I would rebuild the roof supports (which are hidden from view) with steel, which would distinguish them as being replacements when examined in future centuries.. This is similar to the practice of repairing stone buildings of the past with concrete instead of stone, so it's clear what was original and what is new. Often the concrete color is left natural which isn't always the prettiest but I understand the point. Even though I'm an architect, I like the idea of leaving ND looking as before the fire in the observable areas. Possibly the exterior roof could be another material if it truly looked compatible. The danger with newer materials is that they often look too perfect.

And as I mentioned before, steel is far from fireproof or even fire resistant. It loses most of its strength at absurdly low temperatures. So a potentially elegant steel structure for the roof would be completely covered in a fireproofing material, which could still look OK if done right or a lumpy mess if not.

Last edited:
The danger with newer materials is that they often look too perfect.
Nothing wrong with getting closer to the ideal quality. I mean, that's what they tried to achieve before.

And as I mentioned before, steel is far from fireproof or even fire resistant. It loses most of its strength at absurdly low temperatures. So a potentially elegant steel structure for the roof would be completely covered in a fireproofing material, which could still look OK if done right or a lumpy mess if not.
This brings the discussion back to Pompidou Center in Paris. They covered the steel truss with fireproofing material, then they clad it with steel sheets to make it look like exposed steel which is basically a design mockery.

while they are looking for the oaks, perhaps Brazilian walnut would be a better choice (ipe). more fire resistant than oak, resistant to insects, naturally fire resistant.
When Notre Dame was being fabricated, virtually everyone never knew of Brazils existence....many still believed one could sail off the end of the world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

The NY Times did an excellent article analyzing why the fire got so out of control Notre-Dame came far closer to collapsing than people knew. This is how it was saved. - The New York Times.

One of the biggest issues was that when the alarm first came, a new employee sent to investigate went to the wrong place to investigate and reported it was a false alarm. When I did seminars I used this as an example of the importance of training.

And had it not been for one brave woman fire fighter Notre Dame would have burned to the ground. It came within minutes of happening despite her efforts.

What will our civilization do if the Roman Colosseum rattled to the ground in a major earthquake in Rome? Would we restore the structure to honor the symbol of Roman times? Identical trains of thought must be applied to the likes of Notre Dame if it had collapsed in its entirety.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick....

The use of the colosseum was used in its intended form for appx. 500 years until "battles, or savagery fell out of fashion...and later was abandoned & used as a materials quarry.
The building that housed that early church in its "newness" also had laws, edicts & punishments for the craft of Witchcraft...the current usages of Notre Dame is far and away not similar to its origins some 700 years ago.
If the Colosseum had been 'converted' & restored to a new sport, say an early form of football (soccer)...things would have been radically different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick....

Last edited:
About destroyed church buildings.
The largest ever built Christian building is the "Cluny abbey" in France. At the French revolution it was ransacked, looted then used as a stone quarry.
It had five main towers and a huge nave with double transepts at both sides. There remains the major bell tower and remains showing where was the nave entrance.
There has never been real intentions to rebuilt it.