Notre Dame cathedral

@mchambin thanks for posting that youtube. I will have to roll it several times to get the French translated more completely into my brain.

Decades ago I took a course at NY's Metropolitan Museum which dealt with those pesky Burgundians. Required reading the story of Abelard and Heloise, and of course Bernard of Clairvaux. Reforming monasteries was an ongoing project even into the modern era.

The location for my two favorite Sci-Fi books is a Monastery:

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Wikipedia

John Middleton Murry Jr. - Wikipedia. The Custodians:

novella about a monastery where a strange "observatory" has been created that allows users to see into the future. This is a tragic tale that seems to play with Cowper's interest in the linkages between past, present, and future and the interplay of predestination with free will. Well written and intriguing.

I watched on TV Notre Dame repairing.
On ARTE a French/German media.

The fire destroyed the central upper part and totalled the carpentry with the central steeple.
Repair is ongoing, repairs are very close to the original.
From this, much was learned and understood about ancient builders technics.
Rebuiding, revamping on schedule.
Should be back in service 2024.

Reactions: 1 user
The "sound of Notre Dame" on this website is hitting me up for money to play the video...Hmm?...sounds all too familiar..."whatever you can spare"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It
"sound of Notre Dame" on this website is
It wants me to log-on because I "used up" my free articles. The site is safe and reputable, but we all have reasons not to play games.

If I use FireFox's "Reader View" (F9), I do get the text of the article and some pix, without nags, anonymously. It is somewhat interesting (a burned-out building sounds different). Sure not enough to justify getting Firefox if you don't already use it.
05mag-notredame-02-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Letters on the NYTimes article on Notre Dame's acoustics appeared in the Sunday, March 19th 2023 edition of The New York Times Magazine. One I excerpt here:

I rebuilt and reopened the choir school at the Notre Dame cathedral, as it is known now, in 1991. Having shaped its music a daily basis for a time, I have known the cathedral intimately, be it making music inside its walls or walking, among its flying buttresses on the outside. I am much impressed by the work, and research presented here, and thank you so much for this. For me, Notre Dame remains and integral part of my life and who I am, and this article brought back some amazing memories of my time and work there. Notre Dame is a living space, and it will continue to change through the ages, as it should. I am blessed to have been its resident for a period of my life, and I am thankful for what the experience has taught me. Thank you for your splendid work and reporting.
Michael Marc Gervais
Canada

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
When I see all that workers with white helmet inside the cathedral, I wonder what are thinking the church authorithies and that stupid security agents when you visit it and forget your modest Gavroche's cap... whom ask to have your head free of hats ?

It is still a religious area but is ruled and owned by the State. Basicly if you are a woman you can cover your head but not if you are a man, but perhaps an indian sikh ?

Which is double special as now all the monney for refurbishment are from worldwide private donations and french State I am a citizen btw.

And as in our constitution we are equal in rigth and mainly in a public place, I really wonder the next time I visit I could wear a white helmet both because as a french there is a revolutionaire inside me but also because of the Newton's law and some still fresh plaster apples that may fall from the paradise ?!

I mostly have a tear drop when I saw the three episodes of the good Arte TV serie and wondered why our heavily paid state-agents had not the idea to put three solders on the structures to keep it safe as we live into martial law from several years due to the terrorism thread (the soldiers you see when you visit Paris and that makes it a safe place, the strikes being a cultural habit limited to few streets time to time).

I am glad we narrowly escaped to architecture globalisation wokism with a food shop and musuem books library inside as some digusting blend mixing with modern art on the roof ! But I'd like to keep my cap as a french not deist free citizen that has the rigth to visit a place ruled by the State where after all workers smoke cigaretts on the roof... lol ! :knight:.....:joker:

:king::witch::trapper::snowman2::wiz::frosty::hohoho::sarge::scratch1: