Notre Dame cathedral

But a lot of the perceived life expectancy increase didn't come from people getting older, it came from a dramatic drop in infant mortality that boosted the average.
Can you imagine in the middle ages children had 50/50 chance of making it to adulthood? Wonder why people were so religious back then, enough to devote such great resources and manpower to build a cathedral like ND.
Also, up until recent medical practices, childbirth has always been really quit dangerous for women. It takes a strong woman to produce a half dozen or more children. This, of course is why women are tougher than men, they have to be.:p
I would have thought that wars also reduce average life expectancy.
The millions who died in their 20s during WWI and WWII must have had an statistical effect.

Oh there was a statistical effect, especially in England and in Europe. The % of young boys population slaughtered in those trenches for the glory of a few old men certainly created a disproportionate population at home. But we know the civilian toll is usually higher. The unique flu of 1918 was transported to large populations due to that conflict. Killed millions, particularly effecting the young and healthy. Well over half a million battlefield casualties in the US civil war, but how many civilians perrished due to the conditions? Not to get into details, but also in certain countries around the world many more than in war were slaughtered in mass due to disagreed upon political ideals, power struggles.
US life expectancy has been deceasing over the last years, drug crisis , suicide , mass shootings, ..., social divergences are now contributing to the decrease.

I would say the pharmaceutical "opium" has had a significant effect. This includes all the mind altering "medicine" that is handed out like Tick Tacks because people feel sad, nevermind the reasons they might feel sad. The "for profit" pharmaceutical industry is in itself a quandary. If you are well, they make no profits!:xeye: It is reported that alot of the Fentanyl is coming from China. Funny, how there was a time when that was reversed and the Chinese people were all doped up for someone else's profits.:scratch2: To say nothing of people ingesting meth, made by someone with an IQ of 65, from impure industrial ingredients. Did you know people are huffing wasp killer spray? Wow. I don't ever use that stuff as it is cruel to the insects...... orthophosphate.....(sarin?).....:yuck::dead: OD seems to be more popular than car wrecks these days, although vehicle safety and impaired driving enforcement helps with that statistic, but then there is the new phenomenon of people looking at thier phones while driving.:rolleyes: The increase and type of drugs and general degeneracy in society along with poverty increase seem to be related to suicides. Statistically mass shootings are rare, most gun deaths are suicide.

Inequality appears to increase ill health.
Countries which reduced inequality have seen a general improvement in health over the same time period while countries which increased inequality have witnessed a decline.
Inequality usually infers an increase in poverty, which decreases the ability to seek better healthcare and also leads to a more hazardous life, poorer diet and environment.

I think the destruction of the cathedral is somewhat symbolic of the degeneration of the society in general, a loss of faith, sense of direction.:(.
However, all is not lost, there is a solution, a redemption. Unfortunately this usually comes after a great suffrage.:ashamed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Price...all is said. Your health is the margin of someone else...exactly like weapons. We could stop the guns to be sold...but goodness...the monney.

What changed since Notre Dame and the plague? A simple fact...we know but we do nothing. But when it's global, well...it's global. We sucseded to be more effecicient than plague.
It will be logical not to restore N-D roof with lead or with berylium...but one will have this idea because the monney. As the XIII, all that goes in the roof goes not in your belly...but if it burns

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I think the destruction of N-D is just the symbol of the stupidities of few people, politics wo prefer their confort and save monney on such things, also the foolness of state employees becomming lazier and lazier till the ineptitude,'then the foolness of some workers on the roof like their employer one unable to manage them like the state employees as purchasers unable to manage the employers.

It s just showed a lot of stupidity, nothing symbolic here, he could have been avoided but if it was an criminal action.

Inequality usually infers an increase in poverty, which decreases the ability to seek better healthcare and also leads to a more hazardous life, poorer diet and environment.

Statistically it does not seem to matter.

If a country decreases inequality because everybody gets poorer (some quite dramatically so) health increases and if a a country increases inequality by getting richer for everybody but some extraordinarlly so general health decreases.

3D scans of Notre Dame from 2010, Courtesy Vassar College, discussed in this morning's Wall St. Journal Twenty-First Century Gothic - WSJ :

By happy accident, there exist 3-D laser scans of the entire cathedral. They were made by Vassar College architectural historian Andrew Tallon in 2010 and 2012 for two television documentaries. (Tragically, Mr. Tallon died last year.)

Laser scanning is a means of measuring an entire edifice, providing a digital record with a margin of error of only five millimeters. First, a series of reflective targets is placed on the surface of a building. Then, the scanner is positioned in dozens of different spots to capture every nook and cranny. In PBS’s “NOVA” special “Building the Great Cathedrals,” Mr. Tallon explained what came next: “[The scanner] sends a little laser beam out from its eye, and it measures a thousand times a second the distance between itself and whatever it’s hitting, and so, as it slowly pans across the wall, it’s shooting this laser out and taking a whole series of measurements, which are then represented in three dimensions as a series of X-Y-Z coordinates.” The result is a mass of data known as a point cloud. That data set may then be viewed using analytical software and “sliced” into smaller pieces for closer inspection.

I surmise Sweden to have one in Lego as well !:rofl:
The LEGO Group tends to shy away from creating models of real-life religious buildings.

However, the Paris Lego store does have an exhibit of a fairly large Notre Dame build.

Attachments

• Lego ND.jpg
    Lego ND.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yep saw it this summer by chance : Châtelet Les Halles Lego store...

Strange nobody had the idea of a lego roof here :emoticon:

It seems from what I read the roof has to weight to push the walls outside to counter balance the push of the external pilars if I understood correctly :confused: : there is an equilibrium level !

So at this moment I don't know if they modelized enough datas with the damages of the walls and pilars to know the minimum weight needed as the maximum possible !

In the meantime all the sketchs are just pure marketing

It seems from what I read the roof has to weight to push the walls outside to counter balance the push of the external pilars if I understood correctly :confused: : there is an equilibrium level !
Notre Dam (& other cathedrals of same design) has flying buttresses to keep the lateral force of arch / vault from pushing the walls out. Look up "flying buttress" and you will find illustrations on how it works.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yes, everyone is aware about that ! Mainly due to the height and large windows

.But it seems also that the weight of the roof has to be a minimum in relation of the vertical strength needed in this design : i.e. balsa wood not the right way.

The strengths and counter strengths seem to be more subtle than we thought...

^Considering the state of engineering in the way olden days, I would bet that any “subtly” in the design is based on happenstance rather than advanced knowledge. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then. I do seat of the pants structural engineering now and then and I can tell you that some of the members in that famous roof structure made zero sense.

^Considering the state of engineering in the way olden days, I would bet that any “subtly” in the design is based on happenstance rather than advanced knowledge. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then. I do seat of the pants structural engineering now and then and I can tell you that some of the members in that famous roof structure made zero sense.

nope, had this conversation w a gal who was a mathematician for IBM and she explained how, before Newton, they understood the application of "the calculus" even though they couldn't formulate. she had PhD's in math AND art history. (One of my sons did his senior thesis on the little balancing ornaments on the flying butresses of Rheims! -- these weren't entirely decorative.)

the failures of architecture without a mathematical basis were spectacular. Beauvais for instance -- they underestimated the force of the wind on the walls and the cathedral collapsed!

Columbia University architecture school did a presentation for the web, in the early days of the WWW, on the mathematics of Amiens. The cathedral of Amiens was built beginning in 1220.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Yeah it’s the opposite. The external flying buttresses etc. are there to counterbalance the forces of the roof, vaults and arches pushing outward.