New Stasis front end

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
how odd, chain of associations leads me to good old tarring and feathering :rofl:

800px-Philip_Dawe_%28attributed%29%2C_The_Bostonians_Paying_the_Excise-man%2C_or_Tarring_and_Feathering_%281774%29_-_02.jpg

Joined 2019
Paid Member
If Papa has plans for an output stage, we could let him take over.

I am not sure what further involvement Nelson might have been planning.

I shouldn't read too much into below, but there is hope for those not-yet versed in circuit design.

"Reading between the lines, save this one for a big big project, like a F5T, 6-deep Burning Amp, or the new Stasis that would be absolutely perfect for this chassis."

Quoted from here. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/360807-ultimate-4u-500mm-chassis-51.html#post6439720

I also love seeing individual creations based on Papa's originals. I learn a ton, and it's inspiring. Heck, just looking at the list of devices posted earlier, I learned a bit about what people look for... I learn bit by bit.

That is good news, any idea on what Threshold output you might base it on - hopefully not one of the cascoded (series) outputs. Other members who might be looking at building a classic amp might want to throw in their suggestions - I am sure ZM will, after he finishes munching on his Vegemite toast.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
make a consensus about type of outputs, OS arrangement, max number of devices per channel (UMS applicable?) and I'm going to draw OS pcb for Greedy Boyz

Perfect!!

Was chatting about this with Nelson just yesterday. :yes:

Big UMS hole pattern, 6 pairs/PCB

If there is suitable BJT that has pinout BCE, say MJW21196G/MJW21195G, or MJL3281AG/MJL1302AG, then the same PCB could be made to use GSD Mosfet as well.. just jumper the drivers. NP mentioned he could tweak the front end a little to allow that.

Last edited:
So ...,. if someone wanted to drive the Apogee Scintillas 1 ohm version , which past Stasis model would be a suitable clone without getting nuked ?

Nelson did mention you would have to get Medieval about it

The SA 1 or 12 just has to many outputs to consider it unless really necessary

Other models maybe ?

Last edited:
I agree with ZM, six pairs is ideal and I would have 45 to 50VDC rails. I will use the Sanken 2SA2223A and the 2SC6145A TO3P with BCE from left to right. Even Sanken Japan says these are their equivalents to the MJL21193 / 94 TO247 On Semi types taht Nelson likes. These Sanken's are used by D'Agostino in his huge power amp designs. I have them here already.

As advised by Nelson, I would bias the OS till heat sinks run at max of 50 deg C with lid on.

ZM, you are a bloody legend - I just thought I would beat pico to the quote.