New Sleek Chip amp project

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Cannot remove board due to volume contrl

I cannot remove the volume control knob to free the board from the case, any ideas? The rest of the board is loose, removed the hot glue supports to the case. Should I desolder the volume control ?

Attachments

• PcspkrsVolControl.jpg
    PcspkrsVolControl.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Tpa 3116D2/ Tpa 3118D2/Tpa 3130D2 are good choices too. With 2*50w/ 2*30w/2*15w with later two dont even need active cooling heatsinks.works from 4.6-26v. Thd of 0.1% is present and its acceptable. And mute function is present, so as master - slave sync. Can be controlled using digital switches, so as gain. Also shutdown /standby modes are avilable.
Its a good chip with lot of power and features.. Check its datasheet.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Cardboard Prototype Amplifier completed

Construction

I managed to remove the board and after testing it with a 9 V battery, connected the 9V battery and attached the board to a cardboard enclosure for testing. Cutting out the holes for the knobs proved to be a bit of a task, also constructing the enclosure needed to be better thought of. The thing works off a 9V battery.

Testing
I think the Hi Fi magazine calls it insight. I am hearing sounds I never heard before. Clarity is excellent, and imaging is something I have not heard before. I am setting here and hearing some favourites (70s and 80s pop) as if for the first time. In fact it reminds me of listening on headphones. Some bass would make the sound perfect.

Next Steps
I need to connect an AC-DC adapter, but I remembered just in time that I should put in a fuse, so for a 1 W x 2 amplifier, with the 12 V input to the board, I would expect to put in a 1 amp fuse ?

I also need to construct my hardboard enclosure - anyone want to comment on the fire hazard of such a thing?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I got my amplifier working with a AC-DC converter, one which converts 220V AC to anything from 3 volts to 9 V DC. I tried it using the 9V power setting and works fine.

The heat sink on the TE 2025 chip gets really hot, and the heat sink slides arounf a bit. I made some ventilation holes on the top of the enclosure.

Sound quality is good, the last 9V battery I used lost power until it was down to 6V and the power light kept dimming when loud sounds were being reproduced. Interesting.

I do not think I need the fuse, the adapter will have its own protection.

Next I need a more permanent enclosure - next.

I got my amplifier working with a AC-DC converter, one which converts 220V AC to anything from 3 volts to 9 V DC. I tried it using the 9V power setting and works fine.

The heat sink on the TE 2025 chip gets really hot, and the heat sink slides arounf a bit. I made some ventilation holes on the top of the enclosure.

Sound quality is good, the last battery I used lost power until it was down to 6V and the power light kept dimming when loud sounds were being reproduced. Interesting.

I do not think I need the fuse, the adapter will have its own protection.

Next I need a more permanent enclosure.

I have been looking at how amplifiers are constructed - this video is interesting : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYnPNe4L6Uc

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Latest concept

I made the enclosure smaller, targeting a B5 size or the size of a TV set top box.

The enclosure will make or break the success of the project.

Attached are the Wings 3D and .3DS files that can be viewed in G3DViewer.

Attachments

• CompactAmp1.zip
    16 KB · Views: 58
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Thanks Andrew, this fuse is in addition to the power adapter? A good one should have protection?

I have yet to see a fuse in any of the four computer speakers that I have disassembled. In any case these are two pin configurations, no earth wire. But I plan to install a fuse, Google will tell me the values.