new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm disappointed with what miniDSP has released the last years considering how early they came out with the 4x10 Hd unit. I would like to see an upgraded version with XLR connection, FIR filters, lower noise, better DA quality, improved PSU and a proper display.

The SHD doesn't meet the requirements for a high-end crossover unit and the addition of Dirac is simple a waste.

I 100% agree. The sound quality just doesn’t compare to my Chord Mojo/poly even with a rudimentary passive crossover that I cobbled together. I think the OpenDRC-DA8 is a step up from the 2x4HD but they still have a ways to go to get that last 10%.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I think the OpenDRC-DA8 is a step up from the 2x4HD but they still have a ways to go to get that last 10%.

Actually, I consider the OpenDRC-DA8 a step back from the 2x4HD.....at least in regards to DAC performance on the bench. I suggest to perform some testing yourself and you'll see what I mean.

I assume your comment is based on subjective evaluation though. I can't argue with that.

Dave.

Still experimenting.. I've discovered that the backside processing is not disabled during DIRAC calibration measurements which makes sense, and that is explained in the manual, but I missed it initially or failed to grasp it fully. It's obviously important to do that.

Kevin, is the backside processing disabled by quitting the SHD plugin before starting DLCT? (Manual, sec. 6.3, page 35) Or is something more required?

I'm using this and appreciate the versatility, but, like you, haven't found Volumio to be very useful, largely because I have many DSD files, and haven't figured out how best to play them.

TIA - Pat

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kevin, is the backside processing disabled by quitting the SHD plugin before starting DLCT? (Manual, sec. 6.3, page 35) Or is something more required?

I'm using this and appreciate the versatility, but, like you, haven't found Volumio to be very useful, largely because I have many DSD files, and haven't figured out how best to play them.

TIA - Pat

Hi Pat,
No the processing isn't disabled when the SHD tool isn't running, you need to run it and deselect all of the PEQ on one preset, exit and make sure you are using that preset when you start DLCT. If you have an unused preset and have not configured SHD PEQ in that one you can use that one instead. If the preset you are using has PEQ and it is enabled DLCT will use it. This might be useful in some instances if for example you have a sub using a linkwitz transform for EQ.

I am a new user/poster to diyAudio, so please forgive me if I am asking questions regarding the miniDSP SHD unit(s) that have already been answered...?...

I am an OLD school, STEREO audiophile...(digital signal sources only however...), and wish to upgrade my pre-amp/interface between my monitors and my subwoofers...and considering one of the two miniDSP SHD model pre-amps...

Partial system:

Monitors: 2 Audience 1 + 1, crossoverless speakers

Subwoofers: 2 JL Audio Dominion d-108s

Pre-amplifier: Schiit Audio Freya, (running with solid state "tubes")

Crossover unit: Marchand Electronics XM44-2 (X-over 60 Hz, 24 dB/oct. Linkwitz Riley)

Signal sources: Cambridge Audio CXC CD transport, computer feed via Schiit Audio EITR interface...

D/A converter: Schiit Audio Yggdrasil

In order to time align my subs with my monitors, as well as ameliorate room induced frequency peaks and valleys, I am seriously considering one of the two MiniDSP SHD models...replacing the Freya and Marchand X-over with the SHD pre-amp/digital crossovers, hopefully continuing to utilize my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil D/A converter for the Audience monitors, (as well as utilizing another Schiit Audio D/A converter for the JL Audio subwoofers)...

1. I am curious as to how the sound quality of the MiniDSP SHD models compares to my current Freya pre-amp,, and whether by replacing the Freya I would degrade the sound of my system?

2. I also utilize a single-ended analog output of my Freya to feed a stereo signal to a Schiit Audio Ragnarok headphone amplifier, would like to continue to continue to utilize this unit downstream of the pre-amplifier, (if possible), but unsure as to how to do it if I am utilizing the crossover capabilities of on or the other miniDSP SHD units...( with the understanding that the SHD/crossover would be done in the digital domain UPSTREAM of the output of the SHD pre-amp...

PLEASE help me understand how I might successfully integrate a miniDSP SHD pre-amp into my system, and NOT loose the function of the Ragnarok headphone amp...

Thank You!...Please feel free to provide insights/suggestions/recommendations, and/or direct me to appropriate literature/sites/responses.

I avidly look forward to your response(s), very willing to provide additional details as necessary, and I thank you in advance.

Sincerely, T. A. K.

1. Sorry, I wouldn't know.

2. You can program up to 4 presets into the SHD unit, so, one for your crossover into a pair of DACs for your speaker setup, and one for your headphone DAC without any crossover programmed.

You will need to manually plug / unplug the rear cable going to either DAC.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have an SHD with analog I/O which I use for room correction. I don't use the pre-amp functionality, and I am unaware of any option that would allow you to use a headphone amp post SHD unless you turned off both DIRAC and PEQ.

That said it does sound good and is well suited to room correction and crossover duties. It will serve pretty well as a pre-amp in a speaker based only system.

would it be possible for someone who owns the SHD to pop the hood and take a couple pictures of the inside?
Okay

IMG_20190610_101833.jpg IMG_20190610_101739.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.