new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to see what I get for the money. I'm about to buy the full digital analog SHD version but there is a voice in my head that tells me to buy this:
4b933e_6cdd4a41765942d9b01581988d6f64dc~mv2_d_4608_3072_s_4_2.webp

pre3.jpg

and keep using my 2X4HD for both room correction and crossover.

Last edited:
Completely different beasts.

From the picture, I can only guess that's the Hestia preamp.
It's got XLR and RCA inputs only. That means you would be using the 2x4HD for a DAC?
That's spending a lot of money downstream where it doesn't matter much.

The Hestia is about the same price of the SHD.
You get analogue I/O only. If you already have a good CD player or DAC laying around, ok.

If you plan to play computer hires files, then nope.

The SHD reviews say it has a much better DAC performance than the 2x4HD.

Keep in mind that the SHD does not play DSD files, and will have to be downsampled to 192kHz, either by the unit or in computer app, like JRiver, Audirvana, etc....

I dont care about DSD and other hi rez much. so far it has been a waste of time for me.

yes they are different beasts and yes I have many many DACs. I have 9038 pro and Soekris R2R and audio-gd R2R and Topping AKM 4497 and a few more.

the point is that I want the best room correction + cross over . I use digital crossover extensively and I need it for my system to work. I also want remote control and truly balanced design in both the DAC and the pre

I have used volumio in allo digiOne player and i really hated it, MoOde was 10 times better.

but the reason that I am considering it, is that a DAC + pre amp + room correction + crossover sounds really really nice because then I can basically pay for it by selling a few DACs but it must sound as nice as my best DACs and a pre like Hestia. so you see it is a list of pros and cons and I wish I couldn just audition one.

//////////////

the SHD does have digital crossover like 2X4 HD, right? I kind of started doubting myself and the minidsp page is not explicit. I kinda assumed that it does.

Last edited:
Yes, think of the SHD as a 2x4HD on steroids.

Better design, better parts, better performance.

Add in the Dirac processing if you like.

Next step up would be to go with a pro sound card like the latest MOTU.

Then it goes way up to the ExaSound models.

Please don't go DAC - preamp - digital XO and DRC - amp. That's way too many digital/analogue conversions and will only degrade your sound.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I want to see what I get for the money. I'm about to buy the full digital analog SHD version but there is a voice in my head that tells me to buy this: <snip>.

If the voice in your head is making value judgments based on photo's, I think you better go with that. :)
The miniDSP SHD doesn't look nearly as impressive inside, and doesn't have nearly as many components as the Denafrips unit.

Dave.

If the voice in your head is making value judgments based on photo's, I think you better go with that. :)
The miniDSP SHD doesn't look nearly as impressive inside, and doesn't have nearly as many components as the Denafrips unit.

Dave.
sure.

Yes, think of the SHD as a 2x4HD on steroids.

Better design, better parts, better performance.

Add in the Dirac processing if you like.

Next step up would be to go with a pro sound card like the latest MOTU.

Then it goes way up to the ExaSound models.

Please don't go DAC - preamp - digital XO and DRC - amp. That's way too many digital/analogue conversions and will only degrade your sound.
completely agree I will not be having more than one Digital to analog conversion stage in my system.

right now:
PC => USB to SDIF => 2X4HD => cross over at 1 KHz
  • high frequency goes to horns via 300B tube monoblocks
  • low to JBL 14 inch woofer via gainclone 25 watts solid state.
so no monkey business going on with D to A conversion, ofcourse I dont have the use of other DACs as it stands right now, I use them with my headphone system. SHD will allow me to have the same exact chain or alternatively use its digital outputs with my DACs.

I would like to eventually design and build a passive crossover for this system but the digital crossover makes experimenting so so easy that I will stick with it for a while.

Perfectly understandable to have 4 channels.

It caters to many configurations, from us Full Range driver nuts who want to add low end bass and align everything time and phase wise, to people with diy or commercial 2 or 3-way speakers using passive crossovers wanting to integrate them with better low end and add room acoustic adjustments on the digital side.

If you need more channels because you want to go full active on every channels, like you mentioned, there are other ways. They also have the U-DAC8 or the U-DIO8 if you want to add your own quality DACs.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Dont quite understand why SHD is limited to 4 channels.
Why not something for 4way stereo loudspeakers where DSP can help get good results? For example lx521.

They are hopefully working on an update to the 4x10HD.

I doubt it. I think they consider the 4x10HD platform mature.

Some sort of extra-way version of the SHD would require a switch to a 2/3U chassis because of all the extra real estate needed for XLR jacks, and also a bunch more real estate on the internal board....assuming another excellent DAC/analog section as designed by Tom Christianson. I don't see it....but I could be wrong. :)

Dave.

Hello together,

since one month I own a miniDSP SHD and I have the following problems:
1. Spotify connect plugin doesn't work properly, the playback just keeps on stopping and the device disappears from the list of available Spotify connect devices in Spotify. I get an error in the Volumio web interface that shows that the plugin crashed.
2. Spotify plugin (normal one) doesn't work at all (miniDSP knows this)
3. The playback via USB / connected to my PC occasionally stops. Only a restart of the whole SHD helps to solve it. While the playback stops the miniDSP is still visible as an output/soundcard on my PC and the volume bars keep moving.

Does anyone have the same issues? Sadly the support doesn't help me...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't use any of that functionality at all so I can't be of much help, but are you running the latest software?

Mine has been extremely reliable for the past 15 months but I use it solely as a room processor. Still running Dirac 1 although I have the Dirac 2 software.

I've always found support to be helpful, have you talked to them directly?

I don't use any of that functionality at all so I can't be of much help, but are you running the latest software?

Mine has been extremely reliable for the past 15 months but I use it solely as a room processor. Still running Dirac 1 although I have the Dirac 2 software.

I've always found support to be helpful, have you talked to them directly?

I am running the latest software, updated everything I could. I don't know what else I could try now.

I am running Dirac2 but Dirac itself is running without any problems. Also setup and measurements was really easy.

Hi, in my experience the SHD Studio is rather sensitive to all kinds of electronic disturbances. When I connect mine to a computer on connecting it drops out for a moment. I've got two other occasions where it always reacts like that. One of them the kitchen boiler starting to heat up. I changed to a Audioquest spdif cable. Now it does not react to the kitchen boiler anymore.
Occasionally mine looses contact too. Mostly when I'm busy changing cables or components in my system. Sometimes I even need to reset the router to get it working again.
Changing ethernet cables does not give problems but usb often does.
But on the whole it always works. It's more stable than my former streamers.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I recently tried out a Dayton DSP 408. Very nice build quality - thick CNC machined black anodized aluminum case. 4 in and 8 out with optional remote digital volume and 6 preset selector. The software is a single page single executable. Everything you need on one page, no nested menus. Has an Android or iOS app for changing DSP instead of a PC. Probably fewer advanced features compared to miniDSP, but has essentials you need for all typical IIR active speaker. Price is very competitive at $150 plus $20 for remote. With available $30 BT dongle, you can stream music too.

Dayton Audio DSP-408 4x8 DSP Digital Signal Processor for Home and Car Audio

I found it very user friendly and the sound is good - similar to miniDSP with Analog Devices ADAU-1732. Worth a look if you need ability to change between settings without a PC needing to be connected. Smartphone connectivity is a bonus.

Attachments

• 0100E27D-976B-498E-B211-C1BE36A1AFAD.jpg
    0100E27D-976B-498E-B211-C1BE36A1AFAD.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.