new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, in my experience the SHD Studio is rather sensitive to all kinds of electronic disturbances. When I connect mine to a computer on connecting it drops out for a moment. I've got two other occasions where it always reacts like that. One of them the kitchen boiler starting to heat up. I changed to a Audioquest spdif cable. Now it does not react to the kitchen boiler anymore.
Occasionally mine looses contact too. Mostly when I'm busy changing cables or components in my system. Sometimes I even need to reset the router to get it working again.
Changing ethernet cables does not give problems but usb often does.
But on the whole it always works. It's more stable than my former streamers.

Well maybe I should try a different USB cable, thank you for the hint. Even though I am using the one the SHD came with a better one could help.

I wonder if the Volumio dev team can help with the plug in issues?

I contacted the programmer of the Spotify Connect Plugin and he actually told me that the used Volumio Version of the miniDSP SHD is not the official one and he doesnt know it.
He also told me that he has no problems on the official version of Volumio, so I guess miniDSP programmed their own version. Not the best idea in my eyes, some problems
maybe would not occur if they would stick to the official version, especially now in my case, where problems occur..

Last edited:
interesting thread, glad i ran into it. i have been aware of minidsp for a few years now and always wanted to try out their littler units to get a basic xover going for some DIY projects i'd wanted to do.

now, i'm becoming a bit more sophisticated in my approach, and i want to do all the other DSP goodies: equalization primarily, but maybe also time alignment, possibly DIRAC, limiting, etc. i'm glad i stumbled onto the studio as i think it does everything i want, and, importantly, it has 4 channels of digital output. my "ultimate" setup was to use some sort of integrated DSP/xover all in the digital domain, have that unit hand off digitally to 2 or more benchmark DACs, as that is what i have been using for the last several years. the studio is the only DSP device i have seen so far that allows you to do all the processing in the box, but hand off the DA externally. this is really the key feature i like about the studio. the streaming and other stuff is secondary and frankly it sounds iffy at this point anyway.

is anyone aware of any other DSP box that outputs individual streams of digital for external conversion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.