New Markaudio Drivers

Thanx Dave!

I understand your logic. With the acoustic crossover (little sealed box) being very low (around 90-80hz) it’s easier to add a plate amp, with active filter for the woofer.

That will have effect an effect on price for the project. I don’t think it’s doable with just one sub?

Unless, maby, its positioned between thes peakers?

I'll see if I can do some filter calculations with a friend of mine.
Maby a simple first order filter may work for the alpair 11ms and a woofer. Combining the sealed acoustic box and maby just one cap for the ms11.

Maby interesting to see what it does on paper. Just for the fun of it :)

Minidsp is also an option, but also... expensive

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don’t think it’s doable with just one sub?

At 90 Hz you can start with one. But keep in mind that 2 or more woofers is required in a room to help smooth out the bass response of the room. But most people only have one sub (if they have a sub).

aYou might well start with the A11ms in an enclosure that does bass (the tall Woden ML-TL, a Pensil, or FHXL all apply) and grow the system bit-by-bit. You never know, you might be happy there. I would, but i don’t have to live with just one speaker.

dave

Yes, a plug of foam recovered from computer repair parts packaging, IIRC approx 1" (?) thick. This is a technique that has incorporated in several of Dave's designs for fine tuning - perhaps even in the A12PW/A7.3 MTMs? Hard to remember, there were so many builds with several iterations along the way.

Do you have any links or project names that I could see further regarding the foam vent plug (and how it is implemented)?

I saw some PMC speakers also having theis feature in their vents

Finally got around to trying out my A11MS, they are only in rough temporary cabinets/stands but I’m absolutely loving the sound they produce, I was worried that they wouldn’t have enough top end for my taste but so far, it’s not an issue at all.
I now can’t wait to get them properly installed & add the surround/atmos channels.

Attachments

• D0178554-CAF9-4D01-B4AB-AD60FC3B32A3.jpg
    D0178554-CAF9-4D01-B4AB-AD60FC3B32A3.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 624
Who Jason, very nice set up!

How mutch liters do you have for the m11, just 5,5 liter?

I changed some things in my set. My amp is no connected to thr power outlet in the wall. I have a group just for audio. Previously it was connected throu a filter. Very light. Much improvement. Don't believe in run-in time for cables... but some how the nostromo's seem to play better. Only thing changed where speaker cables. But sound becomes fuller. Maby the internal cables from neotech are warming up, or its just in my head movies ;)

Bit with 16liter, impressive bass. Not so as with the retro boxes. Which were 44 liters, tuned to 60hz. But maby a pensil will improve things again. Although i like the wide baffle, shallow design route.

Are there more designs?

The PMCs foam is quite less dense, and the damping does not serve the same purpose.

Implentation description probably requires seeing if one can find one of my posts on the subject. The idea is to push the midTL to aperiodic. The foam you see at the terminus is only a part of the scheme.

dave

Huhuhu that's the problem. I can't seem to find them. You probably have thousands of posts already :eek:

I was thinking if I could also implement that in my Alpairs :D

Waiting for the new Alpairs to be readily available :)

Hi Jason, can you tell us how you did the xo? Is it via a homecinema amp, dsp, or old school?

Hi Kobus,
The XO (& EQ/room correction) is handled digitally by my Lyngdorf TDAI2170 amp, I can choose any XO frequency, Butterworth or Linkwitz Riley, 2nd 4th or 8th order slopes.
I’m currently crossing at 200hz 4th order LR, once I get them installed properly, I’ll experiment with different xo’s, the Lyngdorf allows a 2nd speaker setup so I can calibrate with two different xo’s & switch between to compare.

Do you have any links or project names that I could see further regarding the foam vent plug (and how it is implemented)?

I saw some PMC speakers also having theis feature in their vents

The KEF LS50 has a foam plug in it's vent. The plug does two things:

1) it reduces the amplitude of peaks in the output of the vent. For instance, a conventional vent that's tuned to 50hz will have high frequency peaks that can be louder than the fundamental! These peaks can muddy the mid-range.

2) there's no free lunch, and the foam will also reduce the *overall* output of the vent.