New Markaudio Drivers

Hey Joseph, I can't vouch for your side of the pond but I've been selling them over here since about August last year, they sold so well that I'm currently waiting from the next shipment which should come this week all being well. There is a waiting list already but I should hopefully have plenty. I've shipped a few to Canada and the USA so I'm more than happy to do that for you if Madisound still haven't bought any stock.

Stefan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EnABL is a modification process that at the minimum increases a driver’s DDR — its ability to reproduce small detail (even in th precence of a large signal). It is quite controversial with some saying it couldn’t possibly do what it does. No one really knows how it works (yet).

EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques
planet_10 hifi | drivers

5.jpg

dave

EnABL is a modification process that at the minimum increases a driver’s DDR — its ability to reproduce small detail (even in th precence of a large signal). It is quite controversial with some saying it couldn’t possibly do what it does. No one really knows how it works (yet).

dave

Thanks Dave,
I’ll have a read up on it & I too will be interested to hear how you think it compares to a standard 11MS.

Many thanks
Jason

EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques
planet_10 hifi | drivers

5.jpg

dave
Hi Dave, you may want to try ARTA measurement software. I’m almost positive that a difference would show up in the “Burst Decay” spectrogram portion of the software. You must set the display to be “period” based and not “time”. The Period setting will show how many cycles it takes to decay, which I think is far more relevant than time(millisecond) display. I touch on it a bit in my latest video on my circular baffle. I have a pair of your Alpair7.3eN, to test my theory I would need to get a non-modified set. I think the test would need to be setup so that your baffle has very little edge diffraction because this will also show up in the burst decay plot, and “may” mask the full benefit of Enable treatment. I measure at 8” mic distance with a a gated response using a MLLS signal.
My latest video is here...
YouTube

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Burst decay is a waterfall that uses periods instead of time. That makes for a much easier to interpret waterfall. The issue is getting a space that gives sufficient time to get a measurement that goes down much lower than you usually see shown. 40-50 dB would be nice. In practise a big anechoic chamber may be needed.

It might be necessary to use something like this (still needs an anechoic chamber): Microflown

dave

Burst decay is a waterfall that uses periods instead of time. That makes for a much easier to interpret waterfall. The issue is getting a space that gives sufficient time to get a measurement that goes down much lower than you usually see shown. 40-50 dB would be nice. In practise a big anechoic chamber may be needed.

It might be necessary to use something like this (still needs an anechoic chamber): Microflown

dave

So even with a gated response that windows out room reflections you think you would still need an anechoic chamber? I've always understood that if your signal was periodic and gated, that you could achieve semi-anechoic results at least for midrange and higher frequencies, depending on the distance to the first reflection.

So even with a gated response that windows out room reflections you think you would still need an anechoic chamber? I've always understood that if your signal was periodic and gated, that you could achieve semi-anechoic results at least for midrange and higher frequencies, depending on the distance to the first reflection.

Part of the function of the anechoic chamber is to reduce noise floor to achieve maximum measurement resolution. Even quiet homes have a lot of background noise.

Part of the function of the anechoic chamber is to reduce noise floor to achieve maximum measurement resolution. Even quiet homes have a lot of background noise.

If the differences are below the level of noise in a quiet room how would we ever hear them when actually listening to our music in said room?
I am curious to know if the new construction used in these drivers will respond more to Enableing or due to better dynamic behaviour it may be harder to improve the performance.

It has been shown that humans (at least with normal hearing) can hear below the noise floor.

dave

That may be the case, but do you think that Enabl is working only at such low levels? It also depends on your definition of noise floor. We are also talking about measurement software vs hearing which are not analogous processes.
Even if you had 2 fresh drivers with equal breakin they will not have equal response. Could the difference be heard before one was treated? It would be an interesting test but full of pitfalls.
What really matters in the end is the longer term listening experience.