New Mark Audio Pluvia Seven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a very narrow (deep-ish, say 380mm and high-ish, say 1200mm, is no problem) TL/BR design that uses these drivers? Or maybe for the old 4"Markaudio's...

I really like the idea of building a new Fullrange floorstanders, but I'd like a baffle that is as narrow as possible. So something like 140-145mm wide. Or does this greatly decrease it's performance?

I've build some Cyburg Needle's with TangBands in the past that I still really, really love.

Last edited:
P10, have you built and listened to the Pencil with this driver? If you have, could you please share your listening impressions of overall performance, I.E. Bass/Top-End Extension. I am considering building a pair for my son, to go with a Denon DR-685 Receiver, that I picked up in new condition for a song and dance. The Receiver is 100 WPC which is overkill to drive the speakers, but it sounded pretty darn good on a test with my personal Alpair7M/Pencils!

Thanks,
Mac

P.S. My Son and his Wife listen to Country Music, and they may have a tendency to crank it up a bit, so I might just have to go with the Alpair10M/Pencil to match the Receiver and their listening habits?

Last edited:
Mac - from your description of listening tastes of your son & daughter-in-law, I'd opine either of the A10s would be a wiser option. Although note that when WAF might be involved, it doesn't hurt to determine whether size matters :eek: - the Pensil for that one is not as small a footprint as the same design for the A7, or for that matter the Compact Floor Stander.

The CSS EL70 was a one-off batch of drivers designed & made for Creative Sound Solutions by Mark Audio. I think it was intended as a slightly cheaper successor to their earlier FR125, which was produced by a different OEM supplier.

Going by memory, the EL was entirely custom, apart from the frame / basket, which was the same as the contemporary CHR70. I seem to remember Mark mentioning the EL was a complete swine to produce as the tolerances needed for the (very light) spider were right on the edge -something like 60% of them didn't make it through his QC. Which gets expensive when you're only producing a one-off batch. The EL70 is much-lamented by Dave & Chris, because it had fairly startling LF output for a 4in driver.

Last edited:
re the EL70 - Bingo!

Mark certainly hit Bob's target - more than a couple of local forum members will recall my enthusiasm over the EL70 vis a vis the earliest iteration of the Alpair7

Then there was the EL166 /Woofer 6 - another lamented and silly cheap mid-bass driver that punched way above it's weight class - to which I think Scott and Colin can also attest. IMHO, the new Alpair 12PW is definitely a superior driver, but at several times the cost of manufacture.

Out of curiosity, I've read through this thread and tried my very rusty german on that german thread, but it seems to me that Mark Audio drivers are somewhat harder to find here in Europe? There's no Italian importer on the site, and the german importers don't have all the options. Has anybody better european sites to buy them? Overseas shipping costs are killing.

Thanks

Last edited:
Got my 7.5 liter reflexes done. Quite happy with how they turned out and sound. This is my first time playing with a full range driver and I was very surprised at how capable they are 😊

Initial impressions are good overall sound balance. Deep bass extension for size. Strong coherency and presence. If I had to pick anything it is that they have a bit of bite to the upper mids but I actually enjoy that with alot of music. That may also smooth out with more break in time.

2414786123cfd12b268d0cf86dd1164d.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.