New Mark Audio Pluvia Seven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He's offering something that can be bought (from him) and not much that would be interesting in terms of what the driver performance really is. At the same time he's a moderator of this very forum which makes him judge, jury and executioner. I probably don't need to explain why this is a a major issue?

My recommendation in regard to Mark Audio? Stay away from these drivers as far as you can if you don't have seen valid 3rd party measurements. The measurements Mark Fenlon has shown in the past have been faked. When confronted with valid data he resorted to personal attacks instead of addressing the issues brought forward. Here most of it was covered up with the help of planet10 but you'll find enough posts in other forums that will confirm what I'm saying. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
The measurements Mark Fenlon has shown in the past have been faked.
Two German magazines have done independent measurements, like they do one dozens (hundreds?) a year. They look different due to scale. Once scaled and plotted in the same graph, the Markaudio measurements overlay with the magazine ones.

I was not frequenting the forum when this fight was apparently going on, but what you are saying about the graphs doesn't seem realistic to me.

I have done 3 builds with Mark Audio drivers, 2 with the CHR-70M3, and 1 Alpair-7M3, using free box plans for the Pencil. I am extremely pleased with the end result, and the fact that P10 was kind enough to provide free plans. I sent them $20.00 via PayPal because a man's work ought to be worth something. It is great to see positive input to this forum, so if you have something along those lines please feel free, but let's not be negative to one another.

Two German magazines have done independent measurements, like they do one dozens (hundreds?) a year. They look different due to scale. Once scaled and plotted in the same graph, the Markaudio measurements overlay with the magazine ones.

I was not frequenting the forum when this fight was apparently going on, but what you are saying about the graphs doesn't seem realistic to me.

Unfortunately it wasn't just a matter of differently scaled plots in the past. Search the forum for data. If the quality has improved since then all the drama had a positive effect in the end.
Still there's no off axis data available. Tymphany for example shows such data. It could be more detailed but it is a start.

If you speak German you might find post 10 here interesting. It was written by a German distributor that used to sell Markaudio drivers.

pnix - If planet10 were an "executioner" don't you think your post would have been deleted? If you have some proof of him deleting or altering posts for commercial gain I'd love to see it otherwise no, I don't think this is a "major issue" or even a minor one. In fact, I'd like to thank all the moderators for their contributions to diyaudio.

jimbro - some might see the lines a bit more blurred than that, and when personalities and "perceived agendas" get involved, I think expectations of well reasoned civilized discourse can be discounted.

Disclosure: among numerous speakers I've played with since falling down the DIY rabbit hole, I do currently own numerous pairs of Mark Audio drivers, and as well am associated with the Planet10 commercial business. The latter is no surprise to those who've frequented these fora for the past 15yrs, but it shouldn't be assumed that there is a hive mind in effect, or that those fuzzy boundaries don't continue to cause me discomfort.

A quick review or the rules reveals that no one moderator could be judge, jury and executioner. If you think a rule has been broken I think it's best to just report the post if you feel strongly about it and don't compound the problem by breaking rules yourself. I'm as guilty of that as anyone as my request of proof would have been a big no-no if provided. Yikes!

Hmm, a bit under-damped in comparison for a given tuning, though not an issue in sealed, well damped reflex and MLTLs; more importantly, its published response is much improved, especially for my preferred [over] toe'd in orientation, so curious to see some owner's measurements.

GM

If you speak German you might find post 10 here interesting. It was written by a German distributor that used to sell Markaudio drivers.

Interesting to read, but to be honest no data.

Again, I'm not a fanboy. German paper cones have my preference at the moment (and this can switch to whatever I stumble upon next), but I see the name calling and it seems to emotional and not based in good argumentation. You may be right, but deliver the graphs along with your statements.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

The CHN70 is an example of the factory measurment not matching reality as measured by myself and several others (ours all show a 9dB plateau from 600Hz to 7kHz) followed by a falloff above 9k. Furthermore, there is a large 3rd harmonic distortion peak at 600Hz even at low drive levels. No amount of scaling will make the factory curve match the 3rd party measurments. The CHN70 was designed for the Japanese market, who apparently like this kind of coloration. The CHN70 when installed in Karlsonator, magically has this coloration reversed and it becomes quite a listenable driver. Not hifi but musical and good for background music line a kitchen radio.

More info on mismatch of factory vs 3rd party data in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...parison-3in-4in-class-full-range-drivers.html

Note that the measurements I did of the A7.3 do match the major features shown in the factory data.

Ok. You did a lot of work and there is a discrepancy. I like that sort of open source effort, so thanks. I was responding to Pnix, who was implying all MA supplied graphs are always a lie. That is untenable. The BPA opinions linkd to on the German forum were interesting, but were not exactly what Pnix implied. The thread where you published your chn70 and other measurements derailed badly over DDR. (I made it to page 29 and then evacuated my mind). It's interesting to read actually. I studied biology and then studied to be (and was for a time) a science educator. These days I work as kind of a social worker, life coach and mediator. I see some thought patterns and behaviour that ticks all of my professional expertise and interests. Out of respect for the mods, I won't restart the whole thing again. But just be a little more careful in claims and accusations. These kind of discussions feed on replies, so I'll just leave it at this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.