New Fonken pair is born.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If your pair are anything like the pairs i've measured, not really. Should be best in an aperiodic enclosure as large as you can live with.

dave

hi dave, so that's a no....hmm...i heard that merrill dca 4 drivers are good with zigma horn design, however, i really prefer a bookshelf type enclosure since my listening area is not quite big. zigma horn design is slender and tallish....

can you recommend what type of fullrange drivers that would sound good on the two small bookshelf enclosures? (mfonken and the µFonken)

thanks

Hi guys, I've read through most of this thread and would like to build some for my Goodmans Axiom 201. Are these at all suitable for a Fonken? I'm not keen on OB and am planning on using them with a ribbon tweeter above say 8-10Khz. At the minute my main option is to build some ported cabinets. My ideal cabinet for them is as narrow as possible (say 40cm) and around 1.2m high. I'm open to either integrating the tweeters into the cabinet or making some "pods" for them to sit on top of the cabinets. I have found some measured parameters for them, they are:

Revc (Ohm) 5.48825
Fs (Hz) 42.51945
Zmax (Ohm) 37.93795
Qes 0.49325
Qms 2.89105
Qts 0.42085
Vas (L) 157.6913
Vas (ft^3) 5.56885
Sensitivity (db @ 1W/1m) 95.7484

Pls note those are for the 8 ohm version, mine are 15 ohm.

Nitrocellulose lacquer sprayed from a rattle can and then wet sanded starting with 800 grit then 1000 grit and then hand polished with a paste wax polish will preserve the natural color yet give you a high gloss glass smooth finish. I've tried all kinds of wood finishes and have found lacquer and the steps I listed to really be the most trouble free method. Shellac is close to lacquer but it really can't be sprayed and brushing can cause brush marks...but it is a nice finish if you've done it before and have lots of practice. A violin maker showed me french polishing with his own home made shellac.

Has anyone considered any of the fonken enclosures for the fe83en I would love to have something small like the micros for surrounds and larger for center channel & mains. Thoughts? Experience? Recommendations?

Maybe I should have provided more detail... I have purchased an amazing pair of speakers. The sound is unreal.... amazing for acoustic, violins, etc. They are found here and use the fonken fe83en drivers. I can not recommend these speakers highly enough. (Seriously read about them they were part of an exhibit at the Guggenheim museum!)

http://www.specimenproducts.com/hornlet-audio-speakers/

I want to build some small surrounds and a center channel to match for surround sound. The surround sound is less important to me than the main speakers. Any ideas at all?

I am not a speaker builder but come from generations of cabinet builders. If I know what I should build I can do it. I'm just looking for some advice.

Thank you!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.