• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Settings (right corner) , playback options , DSP program (filters)

Yep, that's available from version 2.444 onwards. Just make sure that Katana is selected from I2S options.

For those concerned that Volumio is going hardware: this won't change our attitude and support towards all DACs\accessories\gears manufacturers. And of course we'll keep releasing Volumio for all major platform the Free and Open Source way.

Yep, that's available from version 2.444 onwards. Just make sure that Katana is selected from I2S options.

For those concerned that Volumio is going hardware: this won't change our attitude and support towards all DACs\accessories\gears manufacturers. And of course we'll keep releasing Volumio for all major platform the Free and Open Source way.
Hi michaelangelo,

The direction of volumio is to enter the hardware realm as well as the paid service.

My concern revolves on the update. Like the case of Usbridge. Now sparky hadn't received any update since June. Now someday, my usbridge will be useless.

will this be the fate of Allo customers who prefer volumio vs pther distros?

Minimum phase, fast roll-off sounds better than apodizing here. Apodizing seems to bring a bit of the graniness back, but its still a lot better than before film caps were added. Also, which filter sounds best seems to change as other changes are made to the dac sound, including power supply changes, etc. At the moment, I think probably ought to add in some more electrolytic filter caps since the film caps are only 110uf per rail. A combination of both types of caps seemed to work best with the modded dac, at least given that film caps were/are in limited supply.

EDIT: Just changed it to Linear phase, fast roll-off. Like it better. Smoother, more balanced, less grain. Very nice sound this way.

Last edited:
Hi michaelangelo,

The direction of volumio is to enter the hardware realm as well as the paid service.

My concern revolves on the update. Like the case of Usbridge. Now sparky hadn't received any update since June. Now someday, my usbridge will be useless.

will this be the fate of Allo customers who prefer volumio vs pther distros?
The reason is that new releases of USB Bridge Volumio are not as stable as we would like, so they are available on test mode (asked for feedbacks on the new build on the forum but did not receive any yet).
You can try the latest build:
http://updates.volumio.org/sparky/volumio/2.502/volumio-2.502-2018-11-16-sparky.img.zip

Or use the OTA updater in test mode.

As you can see our commitment is still the same: support those devices at our best

Thanks Terry,

Thanks for reminding me on Moode. Earlier, moode had no image ready build.
Now it has an option, I will try it.

You're welcome.
Moode 4.3 version is very good.
And you may add some mpd and system mods to enhance SQ more, but I guess you can do it too in Volumio.

System optimizations?

- added in /boot/cmdline.txt: isolcpus=2,3
- changed options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo
CPUSchedulingPriority=70
Nice=-15
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

Thre is more tweaks like downclocking the pi on the page linked.

Minimum phase, fast roll-off sounds better than apodizing here. Apodizing seems to bring a bit of the graniness back, but its still a lot better than before film caps were added. Also, which filter sounds best seems to change as other changes are made to the dac sound, including power supply changes, etc. At the moment, I think probably ought to add in some more electrolytic filter caps since the film caps are only 110uf per rail. A combination of both types of caps seemed to work best with the modded dac, at least given that film caps were/are in limited supply.

EDIT: Just changed it to Linear phase, fast roll-off. Like it better. Smoother, more balanced, less grain. Very nice sound this way.

One more observation Mark , after the 15V input we do use LDOs even for linear PSU. I am wondering if more capacitance will be best placed after our LDOs..

You're welcome.
Moode 4.3 version is very good.
And you may add some mpd and system mods to enhance SQ more, but I guess you can do it too in Volumio.

System optimizations?

- added in /boot/cmdline.txt: isolcpus=2,3
- changed options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo
CPUSchedulingPriority=70
Nice=-15
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

Thre is more tweaks like downclocking the pi on the page linked.

Thanks Terry,

I will have to consider other distro options. There is a bug in volumio that was inherited 2.457 onwards. The latest version of Volumio still restarts every time I access my WD NAS. Volumio 2.444 and in Sparky (USBRIDGE) versions don't exhibit this. I raised this issue to the forum in volumio and sent the log report but I guessed it was overlooked. With this, IMHO, Myvolumio is not worth the 66 euro / year payment.

I am using in my katana Volumio 2.444 as well as my usbridge and digione; it is hassle-free.

Need to explore other options.

None. You can use anything even superglue . They are rated for hi temp

Hi Cdsgames,

With 24/7 usage of katana, I think the glue will be exposed to an increasing temp. We cannot assume that the temperature in the device will say isothermic. Now if it is High-density polyethylene, it may soften for sometime; if it is Polyurethane-based it may have a clingy property.

I believe the glue was applied on top of some discrete components; they may contribute to the high surface temp debilitating the cling of the glue. Surface temperature of the components may be above 200 degC. The glue is sandwich in high temp compoents.