New 15" full range - FANE

I agree whole heartedly! Sounds very effortless and natural as-is.
They are a steal for the price.

What is your opinion on off axis response? I was pleasantly surprised, expected much more beaming.

It's -7 deg c on the porch now, and I was a bit late back from work so no progress today, weekend was full on chaotic so no progress there either. will try to get the corners chamfered tomorrow, but no promises.

I realized a long time ago that the so-claimed sweet spot for single full range drivers = 4" was waaay wrong!

Go big or go home. The game starts at 10" and you should be aiming at 12" or 15".

I'd like to hear the Fane up against Audio Nirvana but I don't need so many drivers to justify doing that test myself.

Last edited:
And I'm not going to spend 1100 USD + shipping on the AN 15" :)

Do you have any music you would like me to record with the umik?
I would need a good quality file from you, or just choose something we both have. Or I can choose, what kind of music do you hate? So I know what to avoid, nobody likes everything, especially when they say they do.

Edit:
Seems to me that the beaming may be getting slightly worse on 6-10" drivers, but increasingly better from 10-15". Any opinions on this?

Last edited:
Do you have any music you would like me to record with the umik?
no preferences at my side, but I'm not a Country fan :D
Seems to me that the beaming may be getting slightly worse on 6-10" drivers, but increasingly better from 10-15". Any opinions on this?
I was looking at the FR plots for the various AN drivers, and looking carefully for ragged treble. The raggedness is often associated with an interaction between backside of the whizzer and main cone. A necessary evil perhaps to ensure good dispersion. It looked, on first appearance, that the larger drivers were better. I'm wondering if it helps to have a large main cone - to - whizzer area ratio, or if the design of the whizzer cones on large drivers is more effective. The dispersion on my AN15" is amazing.

no preferences at my side, but I'm not a Country fan :D

My uncle calls that "Horse Jazz", I like that description better.

Will not say I have all kinds of music, but it would help a lot if you had any general preferences. I'm down to about 50 tracks now...
Maybe I will settle for something acoustic, maybe some up-tempo decent guitar with a bottleneck? Those harmonics can be quite revealing. Or maybe just Keith Jarrett,Jan Garbarek,Palle Danielsson,Jon Christensen - Country? :)

Worked overtime today, so did not fire up the power tools outside and stuff, but decided to mount the connectors and finish cabling so it's just to plug in the drivers when the time comes. Everything that's done you don't have to do.

Last edited:
I am not going to say anything outright negative about that type of music, but it is not for me. Or at least I have not heard anything I like yet.

But regarding music subject, it's all about the same things, reproductive ability (or maybe ambition about such), being in love, broken love, war, fighting, frustration, anger, hope and so on and so forth.
There's a limit to how original you can be about things that have been sung for milennia, the main difference is the way of recital.

But when testing anything it should be about provoking unwanted behaviour. In my opinion it is easier to listen for unwanted behaviour when mixing clean and distorted sounds. So the Jazz tune I suggested was just sort of like a joke, it's a great tune, but not for testing, too clean.

We have liftoff. I had to give up, at least until spring. Will do the surface treatment then. Too cold and snow outside, and my trim router bit broke, need some more parts also to hide the ugly corners. But the speakers sound fantastic, even at low level there is a sensation of impact that is very engaging.

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_010836.jpg
    IMG_20171118_010836.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 762
Damn, that's a lot of cone area in a fairly small space.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions with just the full-range drivers working. They'd be great for a couple of applications for me in ProSound, so if you ever get a chance to hear what happens when you drop some power into them, I'd be very grateful.

Chris

Chris:
I do not have much power to give them, but they will probably be used with the tpa3255 when I get around to it. They play ridiculously loud with hardly any cone movement. It will have to wait until spring before I can drag them outside and try and give them a beating. If I had a marginally thicker wallet I would have offered to reimburse you if they do not fit your application, but I have to prioritize here. 97% certain you will be extremely happy with them. If nothing else then as a mid/tweet. Treble is better than some silk domes even, not all of them though, but very dynamic and natural sound.
Did heat them up with some 16hz sine and music at the same time, only gave them ca 90watts each total, low music high sine but sounded very clean, amp got toasty fast.

Norman:
4 x 15-400 and 2 x fc152
Planning thread here:
Http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/286139-budget-40-10k-hz-100db-planning.html

Started planning in January 2016, a lot of thinking and checking out drivers, theory etc. It's been a very good experience. I knew I had absolutely max 300 liters per channel worth of space and wanted 100db/2.83v 40-10000 hz, decided on smooth roll off to 26hz and sacrifice some dbs output at 40hz to get lower and improve group delay and phase variation. Bass is extremely detailed.

Ivo:
Horns are not without compromise, I have extremely low group delay and phase variation with nearly flat response and no xo at all, sim at the end of my thread.

Rottwag:
80 liters sealed. You are welcome to drop by if you are in the area. Many people like OB, I have tried it and want to go a different route, no matter the design there's always a compromise.

Last edited:
No xo. Just a 3db low pass centered at 5khz right now, because the FC152's are a bit hot up top.
I am going to make/get some bench thingy to stand in the middle, so there will be a tower at each side of the 48" tv. Because I find that when you significantly reduce the noise floor, phase variations and group delay it is not difficult at all to localize the origin of frequencies under 80 hz even. Good bass is much better in stereo, so that has been my plan all along. I do note there is some issues now because the speakers are not vertically aligned, but do not think I will be able to hear anything other than a point source when they get stacked.

Edit:
The sound is very smooth, tight and punchy. Some times I feel there is some low end lacking but it's more recording variations than anything else. There is enough of everything, depends on the decisions made in the recording studio.

Last edited: