New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

The midrange is our reference for loudness and how loud bass and treble should be. (That's a very very short paraphrase of how it works.) When you reduce mid frequencies, you will turn up the amplifier to restore that midrange to the desired loudness. So regardless you end up with the driver working as hard as before in the midrange and working harder in the bass.

That said, there are limits to the gain and dynamic range of DSP and its DAC outputs, so you likely end up changing overall gain of your designed filtering when you use mainly boosts.

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO opinion, the easiest EQ is Audyssey MultiEQ as found in AV receivers. It is cheap (it's included in an amp you would already get) and fully automated. Hard to have influ3nce on what it does, although you can get additional software to gain more control. I am very satisfied with what it does to any of my loudspeakers.

Exactly. It requires you to supply the desired loudspeakers and optimises performance for that setup. It doesn't facilitate NOR NEED very involved filtering. Although you could do it with the app, I am sure.

But I can tell you from experience that full range drivers with response anomalies are easily and reliably adjusted by Audyssey with excellent effect. A capable bass enclosure with a straight/unfiltered amplifier works very well too. I had a BIB with a 12 inch driver as a subwoofer. Performance was not supersmooth by itself. The transition between sub and satellites with Ciare CH250 in sealed boxes was very good. I was super sceptical about auto EQ for treble and midrange, but Audyssey apparently knows its **** and achieves an excellent result.

I have had and have several options to do manual DSP, both software and hardware solutions. I can definitely improve on midrange detail compared to Audyssey's effort, but it's a lot more involved.

I have finished building the speakers now. volume is 160L and I went with a nicely large port of 19cm diameter. I made it out of a larger waste-waste-pipe that I opened to a nice port with a heatgun, a metal bowl, pliers and a lot of swear words.

The speakers are about 110cm tall, 40cm wide and 50cm deep with 2 holey braces evenly spaced, so the speaker has 3 "compartments" inside. I filled each compartment with IKEA polyfill (IKEA sells "inner"-pillows without a nice cover, just the insides at 3€ per pillow (50cm x 50cm), for anyone wondering.

Same material as hifi-stuff at just a fraction of its cost. Also, I glued damping felt on the inside walls.

Sounds very good so far. and no sub needed for my taste.
The bass drums come out nicely in this song.

~$4.50 shipping to the US. (Ebay listing above) - sometimes it will pop up a bit cheaper -but not often.

Dan Weiss's Tintal CD is intense as he utters each pattern of the raga then plays it on a "western drumkit" - the traditional pumped reed harmonium keyboard drone part is done with a Stratocaster guitar. The sheer density of flurries of drum notes makes it tough to play for small loudspeakers and imagine would destroy some FR drivers if any level.

There's a copy of Tintal CD at Ebay US.

This sounds poor on the harmonium - clipped somewhere

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Hmm. I have been listening yesterday and today to the Fane-speakers.

My frame of reference are BIBs with the W8 2145s and double mouth-horns with Fostex 206NVs.

I quite like the direct punch of the Fane speakers. The sound is a bit boomy, but that's what I asked for, hehe. However:

I am used to the BIBs rich and full "sound of wall". Even listening to rock and metal music, the BIBs develop a rich sound that envelops you. The sound has a large "body" to it. At the same time, the sound is never lingering, excessive or exuberant or "too much".

With the Fane speakers, I miss the precision and predictability of the BIBs.

The Fanes are somewhat as dynamic as the double mouth/Kirishima horns. But they're less precise with their sound.

Overall: Very interesting sound, and god, do I love the big bass reflex vents with 19cm diameter. The Fane's are somewhat similar to the BIBs in their punchy presence, but less precise.

I like that they are smaller than the BIBs (ha, go figure) and are less intrusive to the room.

However when it comes to the speakers, I still prefer the BIBs so far.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe you gotta make a BIB with the Fane ? :)
Yes, that was my initial thought. However with the Fanes dimensions, a BIB would turn out super wide and super deep. Like 60cm wide and 90cm deep at 2m high. Ha.

The BIBs with the TangBands are already 2,1m tall, 40cm wide and 55cm deep, that's big enough. Pictures will come next weekend. Although I'm all about practicality, so it's really just 2 big MDF-boxes with an orange sewer pipe opened up at the bottom as a bass reflex port. But hey, it works. :D

Well look at it this way. Mount the driver on its side and it would only be 60 cm deep. And golden ratio is beautiful and what's the golden ratio width and depth assuming a 2m height? 😉
I understand what you mean, but then again, 90cm wide wouldn't be feasable in my living room. Also, the WAF is unmanageable with 90cm wide speakers, ha :D

Well, here are the speakers with and without the grille. I like to use small magnets to keep it in place.
2.jpg 3.jpg