New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

Plan is to make 8 stage monitors for live music events, also going to test them in a horizontal array on short waveguides and modify dispersion with with foam lenses.
I should hope they are more available over here than the other side of the poand as Fane headquaters is only 90min drive from here. Not trying to buy up all the stock, honest.

Would be nice to frame really god drive ,what Fane 12-250TC is in acoustical friendly enclose/cabinet and that would be a sphere . For this driver would be only 55 cm in diameter and that would be 87 litre volume ,including replacement drivers occupy volume inside the ball. To make such ball from rubber ball such used in yoga exercises and glued with glass fibre on a top.
Size wise would be most compact solution as well . Even better to put two Fane 12-250TC drivers in a ball and one tweeter.

Last edited:
Thank you nigelwright7557,

exactly,,,,really god solution, having two drivers parallel it is pure benefit ,you cant loose ;

1. Getting over 100 dB in sensitivity,with 4 Ohm !

2. Drivers area 1061,8 cm 2 ,,,what is that, like one 18” driver ?!
having such setup with out any shame,what so ever, call and friends and invite to coffee. ...

Last edited:
2854296933_470538622e_b.jpg

I built my OB WAW system last year using a 8" full range speaker and 2 15" woofers. Project description is here.

My OB Project

I am still enjoying this sytem, but just for kicks and because I had time on my hands, I decided to swap the wide range to a Fane 12-250TC. I have now finished first speaker of 2 and hoping to finish off the other next week, here are some initial impressions.

Straight out of the box and listening full range the bass is a bit light but as other posters have mentioned, these drivers need some time to run in. But since I am also using 2x15" woofers, overall system bass is just fine . I was crossing over my older wide range at 250Hz as recommended by Boyd, but have now gone down to 100Hz which the Fane manages easily with its extra cone area and power handling. I have been running the system pretty much continuously since Wednesday and will give a few more days for the suspension to settle in before I think about any measurements

As for the treble - wow. I am listening in a large room (which is why I wanted a big full range) and I sit about 3.6m from the driver. There is good integration of the sound at this point and I don't hear beaming or a treble peak, but the extension is extraordinary. The Fane 12" has replaced a 8" full range which was helped along with a small Dayton AMT tweeter. I can't say the Fane is better, maybe the older driver still has a nicer mid range but I reckon that the Fane by itself is extending further than the previous set up. Lets see what some sweeps reveal later next week, I am gonna keep the remaining original speaker for a few more days so I can run a few comparisons and see if my ears are really telling the truth.

So far I am very impressed with the Fane 12". I hope to post sweep results with some updated commentary later next week.

Attachments

• 20190306_181309[1].jpg
    20190306_181309[1].jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
Thanks Vix this did briefly cross my mind but please don't encourage me to take on another baffle re-cut. As a wood worker I make an extremely poor wood worker :eek:, these baffles took me much longer to make than they should have, I need to just enjoy listening now rather than thinking about cutting more wood.

The 12" or 15" Fane TC used OB or open back augmented by 18" OB MJK H-Frames, hard to decide... I think the 12" with it's higher FR and Qtc of over 8, as someone measured before that I can't remember may be the ticket in this scenario.
What do you all think?
Cheers, Dave..