Needing help repairing an Orion HCCA 250 Digital Reference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't see it earlier but if the photo you posted was of your board, as it is now, there are missing drivers.

Attachments

• 20190308_222609-1 (1)x.jpg
    20190308_222609-1 (1)x.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 47
I may have spoke to soon on that. Running some tests to give you more accurate information on exactly what it is doing.

I did note that the two voltage regulators I had circled in the photo in post #7 are still heating up fairly rapidly. If that is actually abnormal for this amp? I have not seen others of similar design do that.

Amp was working great for about 20 minutes, then a loud popping sound started coming through the left channel (right channel was not popping but cutting out), then the amp shut down. I then hooked a speaker to only the left channel and the same thing happened. Then did the same with the right channel and the sound would start cutting out after about 20 minutes of play but the amp did not shut down.

As this was happening I was looking for a component that was getting hot and found the driver circled in the attached photo is getting very hot. Do you recommend I pull the driver and check it or is there something else I should look at first?

Attachments

• 20190315_232115.jpg
    20190315_232115.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 41
When you stated that it was producing clean audio, did you confirm that with your scope?

Those transistors (assuming that they're the drivers, not the pre-drivers only drive the outputs. There aren't any other components, that I know of that could cause a driver to heat up. Is there possibly a solder bridge?

Confirm that the emitter of that transistor drives the bases of 1/2 of the outputs on that side of the board.

Assuming that the pin out I found for the MPSU57 is correct (see yellow arrow pointing to what it said is the emitter leg in the attached photo). Also pointed out the film capacitor, resistor and trace I mentioned in post #77.

Attachments

• 20190315_232115-3.jpg
    20190315_232115-3.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.