Need recomendations for 3-5" midrange driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bill,
I don’t know whether to go with the Peerless (832873) 5.25” that you and others have recommended to replace the 3.5” Pyle and band pass it to work with my existing 1” soft dome tweeter, or the Fostex (FE103) Dave recommended to replace the 3.5” Pyle and the 1” soft dome tweeter so that there is no crossover point in that “critical” range?
I recently bought a Peerless 832873 and have used it (for the last 5 days) as the mid in an active 3 way from 300 to 3000 Hz with LR 24 db crossovers. Verdict: very good!

Frank

So how do large and wide Pro Audio style speakers avoid the issues with baffle step or do they just embrace it and enjoy the suffering?

Bill, what kind of music do you want to play with these once completed?

Was 2.5 cu.ft. the volume Pyle recommended for the 15" woofer?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pro systems use a lot of EQ.

The mention of the Fostex 103 points out that the concept of using a full-range as a mid-tweeter is still valid, it just needs to reach down to ~200 Hz, without giving up performance that allows it to replace a dedicated tweeter. Said FR can also be used as an extended range mid, which puts us back to a 4-way, hopefully with XO at or above 5k on the top (and set by baffle width on the bottom)

dave

Moondog55 said:
With all due respect for Dave and the Fostex, it is my opinion ( and remember it is just an "Opinion" ) in your instance I'd use the Peerless driver with a suitable new XO and try and use whatever tweeter you have in the short term.
I understand "Broke" I've been unemployed now for close to 9 months and we are living on my wifes wage.

Do you have any information there on your current tweeter?

I'd follow the advice you've been given and roll off the woofer at or around 300Hz, band pass the Peerless 300 - 3000; and then high pass the tweeter using whatever XO slope gives the best results.

Perhaps you need to find another 15 inch for the bottom octave too as a 12mH inductor aint cheap, you already have it and 3.5 way speakers can have great bottom end.

Just remember that it would need to be an 8R driver or whichever amp you are using may have trouble.
The volume you have in the top of the cabinet may be a little large for the Peerless mid but that is an easy fix.

You may want to mount the tweeter under the midrange if you want your tweeter at ear height.

Can you find a cheap 15 inch car sub ( second - hand ) with dual 4Ohm voice coils?? Easy way to get an 8R driver and car subs are usually designed for small volumes ; low Vas.

The midrange is where most of the quality is in the system and as we have said you can start by getting that right.
you can probably sell that Pyle driver in the "Trading Post"
i'm contactable by email if that helps

I’m going to order the Peerless 832873 drivers you’ve recommended. I think they are fine choices. What enclosure volume would you recommend for the Peerless at the frequency range you’ve suggested?

As far as the tweeter’s go, it was 18 years ago when I purchased them, and I cant remember what brand they are. I do know they have an actual multi-meter resistance of around 5 Ohms. The only markings on the tweeter’s are via a sticker on the edge of the magnet, which read “Nom 6 Ohms”. It is a cartridge type tweeter if that means anything at all?

At what distance from the AV8 should the Peerless be mounted in order to avoid phase and combing issues I’ve read about?

901Fixer said:
So how do large and wide Pro Audio style speakers avoid the issues with baffle step or do they just embrace it and enjoy the suffering?

Bill, what kind of music do you want to play with these once completed?

Was 2.5 cu.ft. the volume Pyle recommended for the 15" woofer?

I don’t know how large and wide Pro Audio style speakers avoid the issues with baffle step. From what I’m learning, they don’t?

I’ll listen to most anything other than Top 40 music on the radio. If I’m going to take the time to actually “listen” to music, then I like my collection of 70’s and early 80’s Rock and Roll, Delta Blues and some of the 90’s Grunge tunes as well.

Yes the 2.5 CF is what the tech at Pyle told me to go with over the phone. He said I could use 2.5 CF with a 4” X8” port or 2.5 CF sealed. So while waiting for the 15” drivers to arrive I cut down the cabinets and partitioned off 2.5 CF and installed a 4” X 8” piece of P.V.C. pipe in the bottom of the cabinets. He advised they might sound “boomy” if ported, but to try and see. Well I thought they did sound “boomy”, so I caped the pipe’s.

I went with Ted and others suggestion and ordered the Peerless 832873 drivers.
Can you tell me if it is possible to mount them in the upper portion of my cabinets and avoid the baffle step issues you’ve described? If so, at what distance from the 8” driver should they be placed?

I listen to some of that music quite regularly as well. A Pro Audio style of set up is good for Rock and Grunge and since your existing set-up is leaning that way then you are on a good inexpensive path.

What kinda wattage is your reciever putting out? What kinda crossover items do you have for the 8" already?

901Fixer said:
I listen to some of that music quite regularly as well. A Pro Audio style of set up is good for Rock and Grunge and since your existing set-up is leaning that way then you are on a good inexpensive path.

What kinda wattage is your reciever putting out? What kinda crossover items do you have for the 8" already?

The 1979 Pioneer SA 9500II specs claim 2 X 80 Watts @ 8 Ohms.
Here is a link to more info on this Integrated Amp: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107607

As for crossover items for the AV8 I have some misc inductors and caps, but none for the crossover freqs suggested to me.

I went with Ted and others suggestion and ordered the Peerless 832873 drivers.

Can you tell me if it is possible to mount them in the upper portion of my cabinets and avoid the baffle step issues you’ve described? If so, at what distance from the 8” driver should they be placed?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
The general advice is to allow 2 octaves below the X frequency, so if crossing at 3K you need a tweeter with an Fs of around 750Hz to use a first order XO, but if you go with a second order XO then the choices are wider but an Fs of at least 1K - 1.3 K is needed.
As this is a budget project then I'd use any soft dome tweeter that fits inside the budget.

Bill I think you need to download a few free box programs and play with some volumes BUT, anything between 4 and 10 liters should work as a midrange compartment.

I'll try and give you some idea of the comb filter thing; just get the midrange and tweeter as close together as possible, Neo tweeters work well as they usually have small face plate dimensions, there was / is ? a small Neo tweeter from Vifa DN 26 that has flat sides that would match with the truncated frame of the Peerless mid, it isn't cheap though it has a good performance.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=1078

Madisound still have some in stock

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/d26nc-55-06e.pdf

As you cab see nice and smooth and all the way to 35K and resonant at 1350, so an octave and a half below crossover.

Cheaper Peerless tweeter no where near as sweet

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/BC25SC55-04.pdf

baffle step is taken care of by the woofers

OR you could go active and not have to worry quite as much about the crossover. With LR 24 db per octave active crossovers and an adjustable output buffer (such as Rod Elliott's), you don't have to concern yourself with speaker impedance or sensitivity plus you get a far better sound.
I've done it and, apart from the few electronic glitches, it works beautifully, isn't as hard as a passive crossover and has less likelihood of being unsuitable.

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.