Need recomendations for 3-5" midrange driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
With a little luck you could get $20- for the Vifa tweeters in our "Trading Post" now unfortunately called swap meet, ask if any-one has a pair of the Neo tweeters for sale at the same time.

SpeakerBits in Melbourne still shows stock of these at AUD$ 39-each ( plus GST for Australian sales )

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Stuey did you use a peak filter with those?

I personally think the little Neo tweeter is great, but it too has a fairly high Fs, but with a second order at 3k Bill should be OK with either.
I base this on the fact that his available power isn't great at about 30watts a channel and this being 3.5 way the tweeters will be getting about 5% of the total so should be safe even for ~150 watt peaks

Ted, what's a peak filter? :xeye:

I should say here that you know a lot more about speaker building than me. Basically, I used a symmetrical 2nd order L-R crossed at 4K, with an L-pad on the tweet for efficiency matching and a Zobel on the woofer to flatten the impedance. I know my poly cone Peerless woofer is a bit stretched when asked to go this high, but still...

Thing is though, I didn't measure the FR as I had no means to do so, so it was all textbook stuff from Dickason's book plus some electronic measurement of impedance using DMM's etc. as described on various sites.

I must admit, though, that the result is pretty good considering.

I've just made a measurement mic and pre-amp and intend to re-do this project, though.

Stuey

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Peak filters are used to flatten the drivers response, see page 149 of the "Cookbook"

I've never built one BTW, as I try and avoid drivers that need them, buy it is easier to delete a peak that make an addition to allow for a drop in response, so "better a peak than a dip"

The FR pages from Vifa used to show the filter required with this particular tweeter, also showed the minimum XO slope and frequency.

I have an older version of the Vifa spec sheet - one with graphs that look like they're done on an analogue tracer. Unfortunately mine only has a recommended crossover.

I do intend to completely redisign the crossover. I know quite a bit more now, and am more into this forum than I was back then.

Bill, that sounds pretty small to me. Ted'll have more of an idea.

Ted, was your last response to me? I should just clarify that my mid-woofer was a low end Peerless - 813916 - which I've never found used in any project, which may say something! I went for it on a price/specs basis simply because it was my first ever speaker project, and I didn't want to end up wasting money. I didn't in the end, but if I had my time over again I'd build an established design first up, as regularly recommended on here.

Yes, I agree that the crossover should be lower. Some factors are in favour of a high crossover in respect of the tweet only, though.

Cheers

Stuey

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Would you happen to know the voice coil impedance for the Vifa tweeter in question?

At what frequency?

Nominal 6R, but if you look at the graph page Stuey posted ( thanx Stuey) you will see the trace at the bottom, that is the impedance for that tweeter; scale on the right side; so select the XO frequency and run down the vertical until it crosses the trace and that is approximately the impedance at that frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.