NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on eBay

True, but if it were a Naim original a lot of folks sould set it to 36-40 and no more.

As said, set it to 38 and leave it on for about 20 mins, over which time it will drift a little, then adjust.

The guy did say "The quiescent current should be 1 to 5mA per power transistor" ... we are talking the whole thing should be set to 38mA.

Hows it doing Phil?

Hey Brian,

Very well, my chassis arrived from hifi2000 and i have and started thinking about mounting it all. Also waiting for my caps to arrive from ebay for my Cap 10. Still umm and arring about whether to use ultra fast but soft diodes or standard decent metal packaged bridges.

Right this is my home brew PSU

Attachments

• psufront.jpg
    psufront.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5,171
PSU is 5 x 6800 uf (Elna LP5) per rail, using dual fullwave recifiers made from Hexfred diodes.

Near the end of the cap bank there are small inductors handwound around 3r3 resistors, at the end are 100nf wimas, then a snubber made from a 0r47 resistors and 1n5 caps.

All could be remove to just leave a standard setup but i though i would start with these in place and try removing each part to see how it effects the sound.

Regards,

Phil

sound?

Sorry to butt in here,

I was just considering weather to build up a second, more sophisticated LM3875 amp or get a a pair of these boards.

Any impressions on the sound? I have always liked the Naim sound but I thought my dual-mono LM3875 sounded better than my friend's old NAP110.

Anyone have a finished build they would care to review here?

I have had them up and running and also have a few LM based amps. The chippamp.com Lm3886 and the My Ref C design as well.

In the next few days they should be finished and replace the gainclone and them we will see. The one issue is mine are the Avondale ncc200 copies rather than the straight Nap140 boards that they now sell so it won't be strictly comparable. I would however hope that a well built and pair of either with a decent psu could top the gainclones, else i won't have bothered!!

To be honest your probably right about the dual mono being a better idea, but the caps came as a lot of 10 from ebay so i either lost a couple and went like that or did a mono psu with 68,000 uf. Plus i had the option of one pretty good tranny or 2 less good ones. Its the start of the year, I am self employed so what with the tax man i am skint.

Hopefully the high capacitance and 500va should keep it pretty stiff anyway.

Here the board layout and thanks for the support.

Phil

Attachments

• underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 4,707
No thanks needed, I havent helped that much, more encouragement.

One big tranny can often be better than two small ones, only two big ones win ;)

Its going to be a top notch amp on budget, psu looks good, did you calculate the inductor off the web calculator?

Whats the gauge of the enamelled wire?

Nice job on the DIY board, wish I could do that.

I'd go with whats easier to wire, I believe its the vertical direction you worry about most with Toroidals (ie the next component above seperated by a few inches), though could be correct.

As long as theres some space I'd go with easy to build any time, shortest returns from speaker to caps. Ie put the toroid at the front if you can so the speaker returns get back to the cap with least resistance.

:smash: :smash:

To be honest its a bit of a pick n mix PSU nicking all the stuff i have used and or heard about.

The snubber network seems to be a pretty standard setup used on a lot of DIYaudio boards since CarlosFM came up with it for the LM3886 based gainclones. Seem it used on several other setups.

The inductor setup is based on the DXamp which i have been keeping an eye on. Its also uses the same snubber network values. The board is very heavily built so i can unsolder stuff at will and short them out to see if that changes things for the better.

My pcb layout skills aint bad but the psu is in truth a bastard child of many things. Mainly cos i cant work out that Duncan amp PSU simulator for toffee, i studied at art college instead of continuing electronics unfortunately.

We will see.

You should try something like Eagle PCB software though, i built my first pcb in about a day using it.